KSplice kernel update — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,708,780 Users
  • 2,241,126 Discussions
  • 7,840,613 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KSplice kernel update

Hello colleagues, please, explain to me one thing. We have an OL 7.x with KSplice and legacy uptrack utility

system was updated using next command - uptrack-upgrade

after that, next command uptrack-uname -r show me next info

4.14.35-2025.403.3.el7uek.x86_64

uname -r show me next info

4.14.35-1902.5.2.2.el7uek.x86_64

I assume, that after reboot all patches including Kernel will be upgraded and uname -r must show me new version, but i did't see any difference, why?

thank you.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year!

Best Answer

• andreas.dijkmanandreas.dijkman Posts: 40 Blue Ribbon
    Accepted Answer

I think so yes. If autoupdate=yes, uptrack is auto-patching your running kernel if booted again. I don't know for sure because my license (and usage) of ksplice has expired a long time ago :-)

Uname, as far as I know, is only looking at the kernel-image that has been booted, not at all the patches that have been applied by tools like uptrack/kpatch/livepatch. Uptrack knows about that difference.

user3182276

Answers

If you don't upgrade the kernel-package and let grub boot from it, uname -r will still show the old kernel. It maybe installed but not booted. uptrack is only in-memory patching the selected kernel, not patching the actual kernel-file/image living in /boot.

user3182276
  • user3182276user3182276 Posts: 2 Newbie

Ok, what will happen after reboot with autoupdate=yes in uptrack.conf file? Ksplice will patch everything again in the memory after reboot?

Does it also mean, that uname didn't know that kernel version in the memory is upgraded?

thank you.

Accepted Answer

I think so yes. If autoupdate=yes, uptrack is auto-patching your running kernel if booted again. I don't know for sure because my license (and usage) of ksplice has expired a long time ago :-)

Uname, as far as I know, is only looking at the kernel-image that has been booted, not at all the patches that have been applied by tools like uptrack/kpatch/livepatch. Uptrack knows about that difference.

user3182276