Forum Stats

• 3,825,999 Users
  • 2,260,586 Discussions
  • 7,896,761 Comments

Discussions

using backups in ASM(+FRA) to restore database on another nonASM host.

User_25659
User_25659 Member Posts: 25 Red Ribbon

Hi,

Suppose we have backups in +FRA

and we do not have option to backup on filesystem and use this backup files.

We have only +FRA ASM backups.

We want to restore database to another nonASM host

how can we use backups in +FRA?

in other words, can we copy backup files in +FRA to a filesystem directory on other nonASM host and catalog them by rman and restore from these files?

Does it work?

if not how can we do it?

Best Regards,

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown

Check out the asmcmd cp command.

I am always curious about the phrase "we do not have option to ...." Kind of like "I am stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. I do not have the option to use the jack, lug wrench, and spare tire that is packed in the trunk/boot."

• User_25659

Hi

i know i can copy backup files in +FRA to filesystem via asmcmd.

Actually, what i want to make sure that if i can use these copied +FRA backup files on a nonASM host to restore database or not.

"Because i have a doubt that rman backup files on ASM are different than backup files on filesystem so i can not use backup files created on ASM disk to restore database on a nonASM host."

SO what i understand i can use rman backup files on ASM to restore database to noASM hosts?

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown

SO what i understand i can use rman backup files on ASM to restore database to noASM hosts?

What does it cost to run a test?

Because i have a doubt that rman backup files on ASM are different than backup files on filesystem

Is there anything about the command that would differentiate between an rman backup file and any other type of file?

What would be the value of the 'asmcmd cp' command if the resulting os file were unusable as such?

• User_25659

Hi

Thanks for your answers.

It's all clear for me now and I will run a test as soon as possible.