Forum Stats

• 3,733,814 Users
  • 2,246,824 Discussions
  • 7,856,883 Comments

Discussions

How to use InferInstanceFor in excel rules

Hi,

How can I use InferInstanceFor(<entity><relationship>) function in a excel ?

Regards

Best Answer

Answers

• Richard Napier
    Richard Napier Member Posts: 208 Silver Badge

Hi

I've always assumed that it was not available in Excel

Using it as a condition will probably throw an error since you cannot use entity instance existence as a condition, and it does not make sense either as the header of a conclusion column since it is neither an attribute nor a relationship, and as a conclusion value it does not make sense either..

I am happy to be proven wrong but I do not believe the InferInstanceFor() function is available in Excel.

Looking at all the worked example files - see Worked Example 4B referenced here (https://documentation.custhelp.com/euf/assets/devdocs/cloud20d/IntelligentAdvisor/en/Content/Guides/Policy_Modeling_User_Guide/Work_with_rules/Write_rules_using_ent_and_rel/Example_Infer_info_combinations_entities.htm?Highlight=InferInstanceFor) - they all use Word for the example.

Hope that helps

• User_AOYHB
    User_AOYHB Member Posts: 33 Red Ribbon

Thanks @RichardNapier.

It does help :)

We were trying to copy instances of two entities into one entity which is mapped out.

We were trying to copy instances for "Child 1" and "Child 2" entity into "Entity Child1".

Word does not allow us as InferinstanceFor(EntityChild1) for both Child 1 and Child 2 causes "EntityChild1" to be proved multiple times.

• Richard Napier

HI.

Thanks for coming back to the forum.

I'm a bit confused by your diagram.

You say "We were trying to copy instances of two entities into one entity which is mapped out."

But your diagram only shows instances of one entity "Entity 1", with two instances "Child 1" and "Child 2". So if you want to "mirror" them into the entity "Entity Child 1" then you can - since you are inferring existence for each of "Child 1" and "Child 2" in the target entity "Entity Child 1".

But based on what you said earlier, do you mean something like this : two entities, with instances, that are "merged" into one entity with combined instances, which is mapped out? Like this:

If that is the case then maybe this video will help.https://www.screencast.com/t/hMuLd5SWB5w

Have a great day!

• User_AOYHB

@RichardNapier Thanks a lot for your response.

Only difference is the merged entity is at different level.

• Richard Napier

Hi.

I see. Then I would just use InferInstanceFor() on the third entity to create the child entity instances. For example:

Then use InferInstanceFor() to create mirror instances of third entity instances in the final exit entity

So you can have something like this:

This is very much off the cuff so there may be other approaches and as I mentioned above I'm only basing myself on the small amounts of information I have from you but there you go. If you want a copy of the project just reach out on LinkedIn and I will happily send it to you.

Have a good day!

• User_AOYHB
    Accepted Answer

Sorry Richard for providing the solution , it really helped :)