Forum Stats

• 3,769,631 Users
  • 2,252,995 Discussions
  • 7,875,129 Comments

Discussions

Does GG Veridata Server pass thru GoldenGate ?

Gururaj0-Oracle
Gururaj0-Oracle Member Posts: 78 Employee
edited Jan 13, 2021 6:57PM in GoldenGate

Hi GG Experts,

Configured Veridata Server and Agents successfully and able to login to veridata url and start agents as well.

My Setup: Source machine (Oracle DB, veridata agent) --> GG MSA ( GG MSA 19c, veridata server) --> Target machine (Oracle DB, veridata agent)

Does Veridata Server goes thru GoldenGate or acts independently at the DB level ? I don't see how Veridata is linked with GoldenGate MSA install.

Thank you

Gururaj

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Gururaj0-Oracle

Thank you Veera for confirmation, I was able to do Veridata Repair soon after posting this without any hooks to GoldenGate.

Regards

Gururaj

• K.Gan
    K.Gan Member Posts: 2,707 Bronze Crown

I never used repair with Veridata for the exact reason you mentioned, ie it does not go through replicat. You can only successfully do repair if both source and target are static for the duration of the repair. if that is the case why don't use export/import, much more reliable.

• Gururaj0-Oracle

K.Gan,

Veriata is not only repair, it identifies the discrepancies first. This is foremost important to identify data inconsistencies. Veridata repair is much easier than export/import as it is just a click of a button and bring only the data that is out of sync.

Export/Import is manual and cumbersome. Source ang Target need not be static as we normally check for missing data > 24 hrs.

In a healthy replication env the lag shouldn't be 24 hrs.

Regards

Gururaj

• K.Gan
    K.Gan Member Posts: 2,707 Bronze Crown

Hi Gurujai

I disagree, as an Oracle data consultant almost every site that runs Veridata falls into 2 traps:

1. The data update isn't static, so repair makes a mess of it. Repair only works if the two tables are not activitely updated.
    2. Veridata OOS is not accurate especially if there are frequent updates. Try having a table with 20 rows and do updates on every row 20 times a second. The tables are the same but Veridata will show it as OOS. Veridata has always show false OOS. It is accurate if the table results so in sync, not the other way round.

So if tables have to be static, which is highly impractical and that result is not completely reliable, so it is not a good repair tool. Sure use the repair report as a guide just don't use Veridata to fix it. Neither points above are in the reference guide which isn't great.

Veridata can be improved especially for Oracle to Oracle. If the final result is still OOS then use scn as an option to compare. The repair tool should go through replicat so it isn't independent of continuous online update. Using repair currently is like using two replicats on the same table which we all know will not work.

Cheers

Kee