Oracle RPM change messages.properties — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,715,959 Users
  • 2,242,917 Discussions
  • 7,845,703 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle RPM change messages.properties

João Rodrigues
João Rodrigues Member Posts: 80 Red Ribbon

Hi,

Is it possible to change the messages.properties file to customise the RPM conflict checking (RPM is already deployed in the environment). I needed to locate and change this messages.properties file, can someone give a hint how to progress on this?

Regards,

João Rodrigues

Answers

• Nik
    Nik Member Posts: 2,732 Bronze Crown

Hi.

Can You clear what exactly You want ( may be some commands or example).

rpm for messages use file: /usr/share/local/<locale>/LC_MESSAGES/rpm.mo

You can convert it to text form by command: msgunfmt

Regards,

Nik

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 27,891 Gold Crown

I would question your "need" to do so. Perhaps if you stepped back and explained the business problem that is driving you to this "need". I suspect yet another x-y problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

• João Rodrigues
    edited January 22

Hi,

I already have done this in the past but changing directly the rpm.ear file .

rpm.ear -> extract -> extract rpm-api.jar -> enter "retek" folder -> change messages.properties

I entered the path provided by @Nik but I was not able to find the file that represents the main messages.properties file.

/usr/share/local/<locale>/LC_MESSAGES/rpm.mo

I was only able to found the rpm.mo translations (this represents e.g. messages_es.properties)... I was looking for the main "messages.properties"

@Nik My main goal is to add a custom line (string) at the end of this file "messages.properties", do you know the specific location of this?

Thanks for your support :)

• João Rodrigues

Hi @EdStevens ,

This requirement is because we have a one custom application working with price events alongside with RPM and we need to throw a specific message in a specific scenario just to make the user know that that exception came specifically from our custom application.

• Nik
    Nik Member Posts: 2,732 Bronze Crown

Hi.

Again - I not understand what You try do.

rpm - command (and package format) for manage linux's packages.

So I not understand how it can work with some prices.

Also is not clear what is "rpm.ear"

It's look like You try world about some very specific application.

As we do not know your application - It's difficult help you.

May be You ask about Oracle® Retail Price Management (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E12440_01/rpm/pdf/160/html/installation_guide/rpm-160-ig.html )

In this case you select wrong thread of forum, because Your question is very application specific.

Regards,

Nik