Some services are not reachable (Netflix, prime, etc..) — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,714,556 Users
  • 2,242,576 Discussions
  • 7,844,931 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some services are not reachable (Netflix, prime, etc..)

Wolfgang_R
Wolfgang_R Member Posts: 13 Green Ribbon

The OL8 server is up and running; firewalld, NetworkManager, dynamic DHCP/DNS, apache, pppoe, etc.. All the necessary ports are open (dns, http, https, ssh and many more)

I can surf the web, connect to this forum and post my question, do my conference calls with no problems (home office like many others..), but there are some services |I cannot reach from my LAN.

For instance the Netflix app from my smart TV is not reachable, neither is prime video. I do have the same issue with an app on my iPhone that does not reach the destination anymore when I am on the LAN.

I checked /var/log/messages but cannot find any error.

How do I best go about this to find what the issue is?

Best Answer

Answers

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,727 Employee
    edited January 28

As you're running PPPoE, I'm almost certain you're hitting MTU and TCP MSS issues because of the PPPoE header overhead and the size of TLS-encrypted packages (particularly media stuff like Netflix).

I suggest reviewing https://firewalld.org/2020/10/tcp-mss-clamp and using firewalld and clamping your MSS.

• Wolfgang_R

Hi Avi, you are a genius! That was the right tip. Working like charm.

thanks again, Wolfgang

• Wolfgang_R

In any case, you deserve a few beers. Drop me a line if you happen to come to Barcelona. I also make a good tourist guide after all the years living here....

There is one more mystery thing that I cannot solve. Maybe I find an idea here. I installed a media server (emby) that is up and running. I can access from the LAN, but bot from WAN although the port is open and the certificates (letsencrypt for domain and a self-signed for media server) are valid. This is exactly the same setup as under Centos 7 before.

Depending on the browser I get different error messages:

(1) Chrome

This site can;t be reached

wo-lar.com unexpectedly closed the connection.

Try:

• Checking the connection
    • Checking the proxy and the firewall

ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED

(2) Firefox

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to wo-lar.com:8920. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

I checked my certificates and it looks good (sslchecker.com). I googled "PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR" but that does not help either.

All this might or might not be related to another issue I have with the media server. In order for certain services to be usable, one has to register a certification code. Since running under OL8 I cannot do this anymore. I get an error message form the server complaining about a 404 (Not Found)

connectionmanager.js?v=4.5.4.0:1 POST https://mb3admin.com/admin/service/registrationvalidateDevice?serverId=54e020b1f47f4fd5903643b7dd0525bc&deviceId=2ab1301e-8df3-464b-8302-ab7c6b61094d&deviceName=Chrome&appName=Emby%20Web&appVersion=4.5.4.0&embyUserName=<my username>&viewOnly=true 404 (Not Found) 

My username exists. Is this likely a connectivity issue or what could that be?

U|n saludo,

Wolfgang

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,727 Employee

This one I'm not sure about. I'm guessing that Emby didn't finish configuring properly. If there are CentOS 8 specific instructions for installation, I recommend following those instead of trying to reproduce the steps from CentOS7.