Package requests for OL7 EPEL & Software Collections — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,714,551 Users
  • 2,242,575 Discussions
  • 7,844,930 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Package requests for OL7 EPEL & Software Collections

Microlinux
Microlinux Member Posts: 25 Green Ribbon

Hi,

I just migrated one of my production servers from CentOS 7 to Oracle Linux 7. Everything went smoothly, and I took some detailed notes while performing the migration.

Now the process is complete, and it's almost perfect.

I'm using the following repositories:

• ol7_latest
  • ol7_optional_latest
  • ol7_addons
  • ol7_uekr6
  • ol7_epel
  • ol7_software_collections

With the current setup, a handful of packages from the old CentOS installation are missing Here's what 'yum list extras' lists:

• certbot (from EPEL)
  • fail2ban-firewalld (from EPEL)
  • fail2ban-server (from EPEL)
  • python-requests-toolbelt (from EPEL)
  • python2-acme (from EPEL)
  • python2-certbot (from EPEL)
  • sclo-php73-php-pecl-imagick (from Red Hat Software Collections)

I know that I could very well add the upstream EPEL repository as well as the upstream Software Collections, and eventually configure them with a "higher" priority so packages from Oracle EPEL and Oracle Software Collections don't get squashed.

But before I do that, I thought I'd rather ask here if it's possible to integrate them into the Oracle repositories in order to have a "pure" OL system.

Thanks & cheers from the sunny South of France.

Niki

Best Answers

Answers

• Microlinux

I investigated this some more, and here's what I found.

Packages related to Fail2ban and to Certbot aren't really missing from the Oracle EPEL repository. Only the version provided by Oracle EPEL is inferior to the installed versions initially fetched from the vanilla EPEL repository under CentOS. Which makes me wonder if this is a conscious decision by the Oracle EPEL repository maintainers, or just lack of manpower. Anyway, plain 'yum reinstall' refused to downgrade these packages, which is why they were left in place.

So it looks there is just one package effectively missing: sclo-php73-php-pecl-imagick

What's the request policy here? Just ask in the forum, and then eventually the package will find its way into the repository?

Cheers,

Niki

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,727 Employee

The SCL has a different name. It would be rh-php73-php-pecl-ImageMagick, i.e. switch sclo to rh. You probably have to do a yum swap on that.

The EPEL stuff is not a conscious decision, it's just resources and scheduling. We are focused on bringing the EPEL8 repo closer to 1:1 with upstream and have a limit on the number of EPEL packages we can release simultaneously without overwhelming QA. I'll flag those packages for review, though so that the newer versions can be released.

Microlinux
  • Microlinux

Hmmm. I can't seem to find the rh-php73-php-pecl-ImageMagick package. Here's what a search displays.

$ yum search rh-php73-php-pecl

rh-php73-php-pecl-apcu.x86_64 : APC User Cache

rh-php73-php-pecl-apcu-devel.x86_64 : APCu developer files (header)

rh-php73-php-pecl-xdebug.x86_64 : PECL package for debugging PHP scripts

And that's it.

BTW, OL Software Collections are enabled.

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,727 Employee

CentOS have two SCL options. We match/mirror upstream, i.e. what is available via cantos-release-scl-rh. Unfortunately that package is not available upstream, only on CentOS via the centos-release-scl repo.

On the other hand, we do actually build and ship PHP packages directly from upstream: https://yum.oracle.com/oracle-linux-php.html so you don't need to use an SCL and you can get PHP 7.4 You'd still need to install ImageMagick support directly from PECL though.

Microlinux
  • Microlinux

Thanks very much !

Outdated Certbot and Fail2ban are not so much of a problem. But missing rh-php73-imagick package is a problem, since Roundcube depends on it.

• Microlinux

As much as I'd like to use the Oracle PHP repositories, some stuff (like Icinga for example) has a hard dependency on the rh-php73-* packages from the Software Collections.

• Microlinux

OK, I've found a satisfying workaround. In my setup, I temporarily replaced Oracle EPEL by plain EPEL and Oracle Software Collections by CentOS Software Collections, and everything works fine. So I'll mark this thread as solved.

Cheers,

Niki

• Microlinux

If I remember correctly, Red Hat will start a free subscription offer for up to 16 production servers starting today (Feb 1st). Since a big part of my job consists in teaching Linux - with a focus on enterprise class distributions - I'm planning to rewrite my courses in a distribution-agnostic sort of way. If everything goes as planned, my documentation will cover RHEL, Oracle Linux as well as the other clones. So I guess in time I'll discover all these distribution-specific quirks. And then I'll probably want to switch jobs and be off to repair boats on a remote island in the Pacific without an Internet connection. 😀

• Microlinux

I experimented some more with the various third-party repositories, and I understand now why CentOS 7 splits the Software Collections into two separate repositories, namely sclo and sclo-rh.

• sclo-rh only contains packages provided by upstream Red Hat, similarly to the Oracle 7 Software Collections
    • sclo provides some extra packages, like sclo-php73-php-pecl-imagick or sclo-php73-php-pecl-redis5

I have a test setup on a server that works very well and mixes the Oracle 7 Software Collections with the CentOS SCLO extra packages, which gives me the best of both worlds.

By the way, the two mentioned extra packages are required by popular applications such as Roundcube or OwnCloud.

Cheers,

Niki

• Avi Miller-Oracle

I've also raised an internal discussion/enhancement request to revisit our initial decision not to ship the rh-postgresql and rh-mongodb SCLs for Oracle Linux to better support folks who are switch from CentOS. Note that rebuilding the "sclo" (CentOS-only) packages is not (currently) being discussed.

Microlinux