adventures in installing OL — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,714,556 Users
  • 2,242,576 Discussions
  • 7,844,931 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

adventures in installing OL

EdStevens
EdStevens Member Posts: 27,872 Gold Crown

Another step in my continuing saga of installing OL r8u1

I configure the vm with 2 NICs. The first is NAT, the second bridged. When doing the configuration during installation, I leave the first - enp0s3 - configured for a DHCP address, and simply 'turn it on'. The second, enp0s8, I need to make a manual IP assignment. So I configure like this. Note the assigned IP address is 192.168.0.200.

But when I save it and come back to the main network panel, it shows a different address:

And after completing the install and rebooting, a check with ifconfig looks like the adapter is not started - does not have an ip address assigned.

Answers

• VolneiCP
    VolneiCP Member Posts: 15 Green Ribbon

Hi,

First: Try using nmtui to configure the interfaces after installation and see the result. I personally only use it.

dnf install NetworkManager-tui-1:1.26.0-8.0.1.el8.x86_64

Second: Try using the R8-U3 if it is possible (although I think the problem does not have much to do with it).

• EdStevens

I know how to configure them after installation. I was curious as to why the discrepancy in the installer itself.

As for r8-u3, that was my first attempt at installing OL8 ( have installed 5 and 6 many times) and it did not exhibit these issues. However, my next step was to install oracle db 19c, and it's installer complained about the version of the OS, and on further review oracle 18c is only certified for up to OL r8u1, not u3.

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,727 Employee
    edited February 2

Oracle Database 18c or 19c should not have any limitations on update release of Oracle Linux 8. Only minimal version requirements. Please point me towards the documentation that implies differently.

If this is not reproducible using the OL8U3 installer, then this is not a bug. Please use OL8U3 only. We do not support older update levels and we. certainly don't restrict any customer from upgrading Oracle Linux.

• EdStevens

Avi - thanks for the feedback. I don't recall the exact error thrown by the runInstaller, but it traced back to not liking the version of OL 8. There were a couple of MOS notes on it, but since this just a personal project I wasn't keeping notes. I'll rebuild an 8.3 and reproduced that error, then get back.

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,727 Employee

That would be super peachy keen, thanks! We've been really proactive with Oracle product teams to not limit customers' ability to upgrade the OS at any point, so if there are errors, I'd really like to follow up.

• EdStevens

As promised (but with some delay -- sorry!) I rebuilt an OL r8u3 vm under VBox.

[[email protected] /]$ uname -a
    Linux vbol83-01.localdomain 5.4.17-2011.7.4.el8uek.x86_64 #2 SMP Fri Oct 2 14:39:04 PDT 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [[email protected] /]$

After initial build I ran the prereq package ('yum install oracle-database-preinstall-19c') and disabled SELINUX.

Next I added another 12g disk (/dev/sdb) and went through the steps to create a VG and LVOL on it, and mounted it to /u01

Next I followed the installation guide to create ORACLE_HOME and associated directories, and unzipped the distribution file (

Lastly, I ran 'runInsaller' in $ORACLE_HOME, and immediately upon launching, before getting any input windows, it gives this:

And it was the follow-up on that that indicated that it was that the installer did not like the version of the OS.

• EdStevens

Looks like a 'known issue'. A google search on INS-08101 turned up several hits, all pointing to the same compatibility issue. Solution as noted here: https://logic.edchen.org/how-to-resolve-ins-08101-during-19c-installation/

Actually, the first google hit was on an MOS note, that ended up referencing the MOS Certification tab. Drilling down there it said that 19.0.0 was certified for OL 8.*.

• Avi Miller-Oracle

Ok, that's frustrating. Though I'll just highlight that if you carefully review the operating system checklist linked from the URL you provided, you'll see that it says "or later" for both the UEK and RHCK on OL8. It's not great language, though.

With that in mind, I'm assuming it's one of those things where the monolithic DBCA/OUI hasn't caught up to user space changes in OL8.

My advice is to err on the side of installing updates and security fixes and apply the workaround to the database installer, not the version of the OS installed. :)

• EdStevens

Oh, I didn't find the 'or later' at all confusing. I thought it self-evident that "Oracle Linux 8.1 . . . or later" includes 18.3.

Seems to be a reasonably well-known issue - outside of Oracle. Several google hits pointed to the same solution, but I found nothing on it inside of MOS. But then the MOS Certification tab doesn't know of any database newer than 18:

Frustrating on that point, but at least I can move on. Thanks again for the assistance.