Shutdown takes sometimes 90 seconds? — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,714,552 Users
  • 2,242,576 Discussions
  • 7,844,931 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shutdown takes sometimes 90 seconds?

User_2OY8H
User_2OY8H Member Posts: 8

Hi,

I see that on some OL8 VMs the shutdown takes 90 seconds. But not always and not always the same machine. Is there a way to see what exactly delays the shutdown?

During shutdown, the machines show only a black screen, sometimes with a blinking cursons top/left. Not other issues, the VMs start normally and no problems during operations.

Thanks

Answers

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,727 Employee

If you hit "Esc" does the console show anything useful? You may also want to remove "rhgb quiet" from the /etc/default/grub file and rebuild your grub.cfg so that both boot and shutdown are not quiet.

• VolneiCP
    VolneiCP Member Posts: 15 Green Ribbon

Hi, (sorry for the meddling in the matter)

I've the same behavior with some VMs, I did what you suggested in one of them and the shutdown was done in seconds. But if 'rhgb quiet' is activated again then it will take longer. However, despite the "delay" in shutdown, it is done correctly, because nothing happens when we restart the boot.

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,727 Employee
    edited February 3

It's waiting for something to stop (which clearly doesn't) and then it times out after 90 seconds. Removing rhgb quiet would allow you to see what its waiting for. I'm now assuming it's waiting for the graphic display to shut down (which never actually starts), which is why removing rhgb makes it boot/shutdown faster.

So, just leave them removed. Far more useful without them anyway.

• User_2OY8H
    User_2OY8H Member Posts: 8

Hi, I was able to remove the "rhgb quiet" as instructed.

Unfortunately this has not solved our problem. Please see the follwing screenshot. It shows where in the shutdown sequence it stays for around 90 seconds.

Server 1:

Server 2:

Server 3:

Server 4:

• Avi Miller-Oracle

What kind of VMs are these? I see /dev/sda devices, which implies it's either VMware or perhaps iSCSI-backed LUNs.

It appears that all four VMs are waiting for all remaining processes to end. You might want to check the applications or services on these instances to make sure they shutdown cleanly and quickly. If they're not managed by systemd, they should be. It could also be flushing disk writes out to the iSCSI LUNs. I would test by manually shutting down your services first then doing a reboot/shutdown to see if it still takes as long.