Forum Stats

• 3,771,055 Users
  • 2,253,215 Discussions
  • 7,875,723 Comments

Discussions

dnf check-update -- perl modules

User_F4FDO
User_F4FDO Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Running Oracle Linux 8.3. "dnf check-update" shows about 60 "perl" modules needing update from ol8_appstream, but "dnf update" says there is nothing to update. Do you know why these are reported? thx.

dnf check-update

Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                                                         77 kB/s | 16 kB    00:00 

Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:01 ago on Wed 24 Feb 2021 06:42:35 AM EST.

perl-Algorithm-Diff.src                   1.1903-10.module+el8.3.0+7729+86a74f64                         ol8_appstream

perl-Archive-Tar.src                         2.32-440.module+el8.3.0+7729+86a74f64                        ol8_appstream

perl-Archive-Zip.src                        1.67-1.module+el8.3.0+7729+86a74f64                              ol8_appstream

Best Answer

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,821 Employee
    Accepted Answer

This is a known issue with our repo as we have both the binary and source RPMs in the same place. If you look carefully, you'll see that dnf check-update is listed the .src RPMs but dnf update won't install them (because they're not binaries).

We are working on this and will be splitting the source RPMs out into their own repo, but I don't have an ETA for this.

Answers

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,821 Employee
    Accepted Answer

This is a known issue with our repo as we have both the binary and source RPMs in the same place. If you look carefully, you'll see that dnf check-update is listed the .src RPMs but dnf update won't install them (because they're not binaries).

We are working on this and will be splitting the source RPMs out into their own repo, but I don't have an ETA for this.

• Todd Vierling-Oracle
    Todd Vierling-Oracle Member Posts: 31 Employee

In the meantime, you can use the following instead:

dnf check-update | grep -v '\.src'

• Steve_
    Steve_ Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Do we have any ETA on the split yet please? as i am still seeing the src files in the appstream repo when doing a update-check

Thanks for the info so far. :)

• Todd Vierling-Oracle
    Todd Vierling-Oracle Member Posts: 31 Employee

No ETA, I'm afraid. It's a low priority but high-impact change, because ULN (and later public-yum aka yum.oracle.com) has been structured with the RPMs and SRPMs together since 2007, and that structure extends to existing ULN/yum mirrors, including customer-site mirrors and those in use in OCI.

Unfortunately a grep workaround is going to stay required for now, probably for the lifetime of OL8 because it's already released this way. I've already taken note to get RPMs/SRPMs separated for OL9 specifically for this issue.

• Steve_
    Steve_ Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Appreciate your comments Todd, thanks for the verification.