Forum Stats

• 3,722,377 Users
  • 2,244,296 Discussions
  • 7,849,819 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Error setting up base repository" in offline install

User_8Z6K9
User_8Z6K9 Member Posts: 6 Green Ribbon
edited March 11 in Oracle Linux

I tried adding a comment here [https://community.oracle.com/tech/apps-infra/discussion/4481789] but it's gone now, so starting a new discussion.

I'm having a similar problem with the full ISO (OracleLinux-R8-U3-x86_64-dvd.iso).

Now that we've proved out conversion from CentOS to Oracle Linux, I'm working on converting our unattended offline kickstart installation. I burned the aforementioned ISO to a USB stick, dropped in our kickstart config, and tried to install. This failed on the installation sources, which in our ks.cfg is configured as follows:

repo --name=AppStream --baseurl=file:///run/install/repo/AppStream

The same paths exist on the OL stick. I next disabled cmdline and ran the graphical installer with the same configuration. In the Installation Source menu, "On the network" was the only available option and the above path was configured under "Additional repositories," but the installer continued to flag the installation source.

Then I thought I should just run the graphical installer without our configuration and grab the anaconda-ks.cfg to figure out what I need to change. So I burned the ISO again and tried to run the stock graphical installer. It still flags installation source, but if I don't have a network connection I see an "ISO file" option. Here I can select the USB stick, but installation source is still flagged. I see the option to "Choose an ISO" but I'm not sure what I would select here.

I noticed that media.repo has the Oracle Linux version listed as 8.2.0, so maybe that's a clue. Fixing it there does not correct the problem.

EDIT: Also in the stock graphical installer, as soon as I configure the installation destination, the "ISO file" option disappears from the installation source menu.

Comments

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,785 Employee

It's been a while since I've done this, but I recommend checking https://docs.oracle.com/en/operating-systems/oracle-linux/8/install/auto-ks.html#about-ks and perhaps trying the UEK-based installer (from the UEK-Boot.iso) to see if that helps.

• User_8Z6K9

Thanks Avi.

Presently I'm not even able to perform an offline install with the graphical installer using the latest full dvd ISO.

If I could do that, then it should generate the kickstart config I need to get the unattended process working.

My impression was that the boot ISOs are for network install. If that's not the case I'm happy to try it.

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,785 Employee

No, you're right: the Boot ISO is for network-based installs. My assumption was that because you have a kickstart, that you have a network-based install source.

I think the incorrect version in media.repo is a red herring, but the other content (i.e. the actual repo configuration stuff) might be useful as a reference.

• User_8Z6K9

Thanks. Unless this is unique to our hardware, you should be able to reproduce by burning the full dvd ISO to a USB stick and then attempting to run the graphical installer on an offline system. As before, we run UEFI + Secure Boot: OFF.

Is there a specific file(s) you're interested in? Here's the top-level of the stock boot media:

• User_8Z6K9

I checked out the CentOS graphical installer to compare. In addition to the network source and ISO file options, it presents a 3rd option like "auto-detected source" that I have not seen with the Oracle Linux installer. That's the option that seems to enable installation from the repositories on the boot media.