Forum Stats

• 3,722,382 Users
  • 2,244,297 Discussions
  • 7,849,820 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

During Linux/KVM OS 7 installation, HDD selection is missing giving error

Kshitij Uchil-Oracle
Kshitij Uchil-Oracle Member Posts: 4 Employee

Hi All,

While performing Linux/KVM OS 7 installation using USB, I am getting an error, post selecting all HDD in the Installation Destination.

There are 5 disk on the as seen int he Gui (sda/sdd/sde/sdf/sdg) also don't see sdh on the gui for selection.

Could someone please guide on what is missing

Do i need to mount the usb first, please find the required snippet

lsblk output

Also I am observing there is no disk sdb and sdc, not sure why it is not showing all the disks

Thank You,

Kshitij

Tagged:

Answers

• andreas.dijkman
    andreas.dijkman Member Posts: 62 Bronze Badge

It looks like you're installing this on a multipathed server. Is it a host with SAN-storage? The config looks funny with the ol-home LV all over the place and 5x the same disk not part of a RAID-set but showing up as separate disks.

Maybe you could try the latest OL7-release, as 7.9 is the latest and maybe some storage related issues are fixed? It looks like you're installing with OL7.7.

• Kshitij Uchil-Oracle

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your response, it is a HP RMS server DL380 Gen10, I am installing Ol7.

Since we have 5 HDD can we have RAID, may be that's the reason why I am not able to see all the disk.

Also just to let you know I was able to load the OS earlier, this is due to some I had to re-install it again and now not able to proceed due to the error.

Is there any way to select the sdh disk as mentioned in the error.

Thank You,

Kshitij

• andreas.dijkman
    andreas.dijkman Member Posts: 62 Bronze Badge
    edited March 23

It looks like you haven't setup RAID in that HPE-server via the controller or the controller can't do RAID on it's own and is just a HBA. It also could have been a Software RAID and you need to configure that again manually.

If you don't need the data that is on the disks, I would suggest and boot into a Live OS and first wipe all the (other) disks before continuing with the install. Or (let someone) remove the disks from the server to prevent the duplicate errors. If you do the latter, inserting them again after installation could cause errors because of the duplicate VG/LV-names on the extra disks. So wiping would be best I guess. Overwrite the firs 10G of each disk with dd for example:dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd<device> bs=1M count=10240 oflag=direct

The reason there is no sdb could also be that iLO has taken up that device during boot and after booting that device has vanished or is empty (virtual CD maybe?), I would see that as normal. And the last screenshot shows that sdc is your install medium.

• Kshitij Uchil-Oracle

Thanks Andrea..for your response.

Thank You,

Kshitij