Forum Stats

• 3,722,390 Users
  • 2,244,298 Discussions
  • 7,849,821 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OL7 vs. KVM: this QEMU doesn not support 'virtio' video device

Microlinux
Microlinux Member Posts: 33 Green Ribbon

Hi,

I just installed Oracle Linux 7 on my local sandbox machine. I'm testing its abilities to act as a KVM host/hypervisor.

Configuring a bridge and installing virtualized server systems works perfectly so far. I tried to install an OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 VM. To get a better resolution, I wanted to use the 'virtio' video device. But when I tried to fire up the VM, I got the following error message:

This QEMU does not support 'virtio' video device.

Now this is not a big deal, since I'm planning to host mainly server systems without a GUI under OL7. For the time being, I'm running graphical VMs on my OpenSUSE Leap workstation. But still, it would be a nice feature to have.

Any suggestions ?

Best Answer

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,785 Employee
    Accepted Answer

Can you try the version we provide in the ol7_kvm_utils repo? It's a lot newer than the one we get from upstream. Though, I'll be honest and say I'm not sure we prioritise video for exactly the reason you suggest: most of the VMs our customers run are headless instances.

Microlinux

Answers

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,785 Employee
    Accepted Answer

Can you try the version we provide in the ol7_kvm_utils repo? It's a lot newer than the one we get from upstream. Though, I'll be honest and say I'm not sure we prioritise video for exactly the reason you suggest: most of the VMs our customers run are headless instances.

Microlinux
  • Microlinux
    Microlinux Member Posts: 33 Green Ribbon
    edited March 24

So I gave this a spin. I enabled the ol7-kvm repository and updated all KVM-related tools.

And I still get a similar error:

Unsupported configuration: spice graphics are not supported with this QEMU

So this seems to confirm the fact that KVM on RHEL, CentOS and Oracle Linux mainly support headless VM configuration - or, more precisely, just enough graphics to display the installer.

Cheers,

Niki