Forum Stats

• 3,722,378 Users
  • 2,244,296 Discussions
  • 7,849,820 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to properly report bugs specific to Oracle Linux for non-paying customers?

Vinícius Ferrão
Vinícius Ferrão Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Hello, I would like to report a bug on the FreeIPA package that came shipped on Oracle Linux 8 but I can't find a way to report the issue without being a paying customer.

On CentOS we have this information page: https://wiki.centos.org/ReportBugs

Is there something similar for Oracle Linux?

Also, as a non-paying customer, can I fill an RFE (Request for Enhancement) or this is a feature only for customers with active support?

Tagged:
andreas.dijkman

Comments

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,785 Employee

You can report bugs at https://bugzilla.oracle.com.

RFEs are generally only accepted from customers. But feel free to post your RFE here on the forum so the product managers can see it.

Vinícius Ferrão
  • Vinícius Ferrão

Thanks @Avi Miller-Oracle; I've opened two bugs with numbers 17528 and 17529; both were opened on Oracle Linux 8 Misc session. This not seems to be right place, but at least for me, under Oracle Linux 8 there are only two subcategories available: misc and kernel-uek.

• andreas.dijkman
    andreas.dijkman Member Posts: 62 Bronze Badge

I was wondering the same thing! I recently had a Oracle Linux Manager-bug that was reported her in the forums, where Bugzilla would have been better in my opinion.

Also both bugs reported by @Vinícius Ferrão aren't open for public, I get an Access Denied error. Is that also the reason why I can't see any other bug in Oracle Bugzilla? It looks rather empty to me.

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,785 Employee

Our bugzilla is not open because it's essentially a 1-way data pump into an internal system. Once the bug is reported, that system doesn't really get updates until the bug is fixed/resolved.

If you have a support subscription, you're able to report and track bugs via the SR process.

Vinícius Ferrão
  • Vinícius Ferrão

Hi @Avi Miller-Oracle thanks for the answers and the comments from @andreas.dijkman are relevant too. I agree with him.

As far as I know, Oracle has been pushing Oracle Linux as a replacement for CentOS, and I've bought this idea. I'm already working internally to recommend Oracle Linux as a replacement for CentOS installations.

My hope is that Oracle would create and maintain a community around Oracle Linux to better enhance the product. I'm a long term Linux (and FreeBSD/Solaris) system administrator and I've been testing Oracle Linux and it seems to be good. There are minor bugs here and there, as you could see on my two Bugzilla reports. Both of them are regarding FreeIPA, one due to a broken dependency package and the other regarding the branding of the product.

I think that Oracle should open it's bugzilla, just like Red Hat does. Because we don't even know if the reporting bug is already reported or not. We aren't looking for SLA's or support, we're looking to further enhance the product. And an open bug report system I think thats mandatory to a healthy opensource community. Oracle has the chance to make it happen, since as today, it's the only proper supported in the long term Enterprise Linux distribution that's ready for use.

That's my cents.

Thanks.

• Avi Miller-Oracle

I actually agree with both of you, especially as I am no longer an Oracle Linux product manager and am now a developer adoption advocate and solution architect in the Oracle Cloud team.

I'll certainly make sure the right folks see this thread, though.

Vinícius Ferrãoandreas.dijkmanUser_2OY8H