Forum Stats

• 3,760,125 Users
  • 2,251,647 Discussions
  • 7,870,989 Comments

Discussions

Question on adminclient and Microservices

cptkirksh
cptkirksh Member Posts: 83 Red Ribbon

I was reading that it looks like you can instal the adminclient separately on a workstation or desktop. Is that correct? Os can I have a linux install of GG server and connect to it from windows machine on the adminclient?

here is where i read this.

https://www.dbasolved.com/2019/08/adminclient-and-set-commands/

Answers

• ORASCN
    ORASCN Member Posts: 1,816 Gold Trophy

I don't think so, ADMINCLIENT can be installed separately. It comes along with the OGG MA binary installation.

But the OGG MA can be installed in any sever and using that admin client, you can login to each deployments and query for the processes.

Regards,

Veera

• User51642 Yong Huang
    User51642 Yong Huang Member Posts: 147 Blue Ribbon

To clarify ORASCN's answer (which is correct):

adminclient depends on lots of shared libraries that belong to GoldenGate:

$ ldd /u01/app/oracle/goldengate/bin/adminclient
     linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff30f2b000)
     libicui18n.so.62 => /u01/app/oracle/goldengate/bin/../lib/libicui18n.so.62 (0x00007f9871761000)
     libicuuc.so.62 => /u01/app/oracle/goldengate/bin/../lib/libicuuc.so.62 (0x00007f9871360000)
     libicudata.so.62 => /u01/app/oracle/goldengate/bin/../lib/libicudata.so.62 (0x00007f986f348000)

So, if you want to have it installed on a workstation separate from the actual GoldenGate server (data source or target, where extract and replicat, respectively, run), you still need to install the GoldenGate software. Once you do that, you can connect to the actual GoldenGate server by "connect http://<server>:<port> as oggadmin, password <password>" and if needed "dblogin useridalias <alias>". Theoretically the installation on this workstation could be smaller, just like Oracle database client software compared to database server. But the whole GoldenGate software size is not big anyway, 969 MB on mine. So there's no incentive for Oracle to create a "client" bundle separately.

But I do wish Oracle documentation could be written more clearly on this point. It took us a while to figure these trivial things out when our team started to learn this technology.