This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 31st, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,805 Users
  • 2,269,649 Discussions
  • 7,916,821 Comments

Discussions

Broker(dgmgrl) convert snapshot standby in RAC - Failed to convert database

User_A9J4H
User_A9J4H Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Hi,

I have a 19c Physical Standby DB (let us call it StdDB) in a RAC (19C) with two instances.

What I usually do to export data with PITR on standby with EXPDP, is to stop REDO (apply-of) im Broker(DGMGRL) and then I do FLASHBACK to an early point in time. This works fine.

Then I want to convert to SNAPSHOT Standby (to be able to perform EXPDP since the DB is then OPEN) but in the process I get the error:

DGMGRL> convert database 'STDBY_DR' to snapshot standby;

Failed to convert database "STDBY_DR"

Then I get in Broker: Warning: ORA-16782: instance not open for read and write access

Also I can confirm in Alert.log ORA-00600 later on , after these steps are over:

CONVERT TO SNAPSHOT STANDBY: Complete - Database mounted as snapshot standby

ALTER DATABASE OPEN

Then I check, there are TWO instances in RAC. The "apply" instance number 2 is opened in READ/WRITE mode but the instasnce number 1 is still in MOUNT mode.

When I login with SQLPLUS / as sysdba on the Instance 1 DB Node, I do ALTER DATABASE OPEN, and then after a white the ERROR in DGMGRL DISAPPEARS (ORA-16782) and I see succes.

Ist this normal behaviour for DG not to be able to OPEN both Dataguard instances while converting to Snapshot standby? I guess I could of perform EXPDP on the other instance 2 (which were in OPEN mode) , but I just want to narrow down, if this is an issue to look into, or normal behaviour.

When I take a loot at the documentation, I see that it should say CONVERTED succesfully, but it does not in my case (worked before).

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers