Forum Stats

• 3,767,951 Users
  • 2,252,733 Discussions
  • 7,874,389 Comments

Discussions

Which Oracle Linux copy is best for development?

Eslam_Elbyaly
Eslam_Elbyaly Member Posts: 4,227 Silver Trophy

Hi, I am new to linux. I can guess that Oracle Linux is best for development? If so, then which one should I download? I opened this link https://yum.oracle.com/oracle-linux-isos.html to download a copy of Oracle linux but I could not distinguish between the four copies in the page - Full ISO, Boot ISO, UEK ISO and Source ISO. I believe it's not the "Source ISO" that I need. If there is another Linux distribution that could be better for development, kindly, tell me which one it is.

I am using Oracle XE 18c or later versions, APEX 21.1 and SQL Developer Version 21.2.1.204.1703 - August 11, 2021.

Best Answer

• David Gilpin-Oracle
    David Gilpin-Oracle Principal Product Manager, Oracle Linux and Virtualization Frisco, TXPosts: 32 Employee
    Accepted Answer

Eslam,

The "Boot ISO" is used in very special cases where the bare metal hardware requires a driver that is included on the RHCK, not the UEK. You do NOT NEED THAT.

The "UEK Boot ISO" is used in cases where most of the installation will be done ACROSS A NETWORK. You do NOT NEED THAT.

The Oracle Linux Full ISO does not have Oracle Database, APEX or any other Oracle application preinstalled.

You will ONLY need the Full ISO.

You can use Rufus or BalenaEtcher, pointing to the Oracle Linux Full ISO, to create a bootable USB stick. That stick can be used to install Oracle Linux on a "bare metal" machine.

The CentOS 8.4 DVD ISO is 9.2 GiB. The RHEL 8.4 ISO is about the same size. The Rocky Linux and Alma Linux ISOs are also very similar sized.

There are a LOT of packages in Linux 8 - especially with AppStreams/modularity.

Are you trying to configure your Windows 10 or Ubuntu machine for "dual-boot" - have the ability to reboot and select either Windows 10 or Oracle Linux from a boot manager? If so you might want to search for some online tutorials on the steps "oracle linux dual boot windows 10".

Instead of dual-boot, it's far easier to run Linux in a VM. Download and install VirtualBox on Windows 10 and create an Oracle Linux 8.4 VM in VirtualBox. You won't need to create a Boot USB stick for that, as VirtualBox can directly mount the ISO. That's how I do most of my Oracle Linux work, in Oracle Linux VMs in VirtualBox on Windows 10 laptop. VirtualBox is also a great way to play with and test lots of different Linux distributions!

The "tsc_deadline" is a Linux boot warning. It is not an Oracle Linux issue, other Linux distributions may also show this boot warning. It is an indication that your motherboard BIOS may need a security upgrade; check with your PC manufacturer or motherboard vendor to see if there is a newer BIOS upgrade for you.

After installing any Linux distribution from ISO you should ALWAYS install current updates. The ISO images are a "point in time"; patches for Linux come out all the time. For Oracle Linux 7 doing a "# yum update" and for Oracle Linux 8 doing a "# dnf update" will fetch and download all the latest updates - including microcode updates for tsc_deadline if necessary.

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,519 Gold Crown

By what criteria do you define "best"?

Since you say "best for development", one would assume there is also a "production". The best one to use for development would be the same as you use for production. And the question suggests that you are asking about oracle linux vs. someone else's linux. If you are going to be hosting oracle database on a linux server, then it seems to me that using oracle's own linux is a no-brainer.

If the question is which of the various oracle linux downloads, then ...

The 'source' image contains the source code. You don't need that.

The 'boot' image is to allow you to boot linux from an external device, like a thumb drive. I doubt you need that.

The 'uek' is oracle's own 'unbreakable enterprise kernal'. It is optimized for running Oracle database. . . . .

Eslam_Elbyaly
  • David Gilpin-Oracle
    David Gilpin-Oracle Principal Product Manager, Oracle Linux and Virtualization Frisco, TXPosts: 32 Employee

Welcome Eslam! And thanks EdStevens...

Oracle just offers one Linux distribution: Oracle Linux.

Most likely the only ISO that you will need is the Full ISO.

The Boot ISO and the UEK ISOs are used in very special cases.

Oracle Linux is released under GPL so we make the SOURCE CODE available... That's the Source ISO. Unless you are rebuilding part of Oracle Linux - you won't need that.

Find LOTS of information - and FREE tutorials, labs, learning paths and more - on the Oracle Linux Help Center:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/operating-systems/oracle-linux/

Eslam_Elbyaly
  • Eslam_Elbyaly
    edited Oct 7, 2021 3:20PM

I heard that the Full ISO has Oracle database, APEX and other apps installed? What if I need a fresh copy and install whatever apps I need? Especially when the Full ISO is 9GB.

Unfortunately, I tried installing the boot, UEK and the Full ISO copies on Windows 10 and Ubuntu and they all showed "firmware bug tsc_deadline " and another problem which is it doesn't see the 800GB free space on my partition. It just see about 1mb in a partition and 4mb in another one which has many free gigabytes as well. A third problem was it doesn't see the access points I have.

Here is how I tried to install them...

I burned them one at a time on a USB stick using RUFUS application to create a bootable USB.

• David Gilpin-Oracle
    Accepted Answer

Eslam,

The "Boot ISO" is used in very special cases where the bare metal hardware requires a driver that is included on the RHCK, not the UEK. You do NOT NEED THAT.

The "UEK Boot ISO" is used in cases where most of the installation will be done ACROSS A NETWORK. You do NOT NEED THAT.

The Oracle Linux Full ISO does not have Oracle Database, APEX or any other Oracle application preinstalled.

You will ONLY need the Full ISO.

You can use Rufus or BalenaEtcher, pointing to the Oracle Linux Full ISO, to create a bootable USB stick. That stick can be used to install Oracle Linux on a "bare metal" machine.

The CentOS 8.4 DVD ISO is 9.2 GiB. The RHEL 8.4 ISO is about the same size. The Rocky Linux and Alma Linux ISOs are also very similar sized.

There are a LOT of packages in Linux 8 - especially with AppStreams/modularity.

Are you trying to configure your Windows 10 or Ubuntu machine for "dual-boot" - have the ability to reboot and select either Windows 10 or Oracle Linux from a boot manager? If so you might want to search for some online tutorials on the steps "oracle linux dual boot windows 10".

Instead of dual-boot, it's far easier to run Linux in a VM. Download and install VirtualBox on Windows 10 and create an Oracle Linux 8.4 VM in VirtualBox. You won't need to create a Boot USB stick for that, as VirtualBox can directly mount the ISO. That's how I do most of my Oracle Linux work, in Oracle Linux VMs in VirtualBox on Windows 10 laptop. VirtualBox is also a great way to play with and test lots of different Linux distributions!

The "tsc_deadline" is a Linux boot warning. It is not an Oracle Linux issue, other Linux distributions may also show this boot warning. It is an indication that your motherboard BIOS may need a security upgrade; check with your PC manufacturer or motherboard vendor to see if there is a newer BIOS upgrade for you.

After installing any Linux distribution from ISO you should ALWAYS install current updates. The ISO images are a "point in time"; patches for Linux come out all the time. For Oracle Linux 7 doing a "# yum update" and for Oracle Linux 8 doing a "# dnf update" will fetch and download all the latest updates - including microcode updates for tsc_deadline if necessary.

• EdStevens

Unfortunately, I tried installing the boot, UEK and the Full ISO copies on Windows 10 and Ubuntu

What does that even mean? Oracle Linux is an operating system. Windows 10 is a different operating system. Ubuntu is a different operating system. How do you expect to install one operating system on another operating system?

• Eslam_Elbyaly

I had a machine with Windows which I tried to install Oracle linux on. And another machine that had Ubuntu on which I tried to do the same.

• EdStevens

I had a machine with Windows which I tried to install Oracle linux on. And another machine that had Ubuntu on which I tried to do the same.

And why would you try to install it on a machine that already has an OS? What would you expect to happen to the existing OS? I'm assuming you are NOT talking about creating a VM on an existing machine, then installing OL onto the VM. I'm assuming this because you have said nothing in this thread about creating a VM. If you are trying to create a VM or install as dual-boot, then you need to very clearly state such. As it is, it sounds as if you think an operating system is nothing more than just another application to be installed on whatever OS is already available.