Forum Stats

• 3,874,309 Users
  • 2,266,718 Discussions
  • 7,911,811 Comments

Discussions

Native Solaris LDAP on Solaris 10 U8 (Update 8)

User_W2NP3
User_W2NP3 Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

For reasons I can't explain, stuck on Solaris 10 Update 8 (and cannot upgrade).

To LDAP or not to LDAP? Is this releases LDAP stable enough to trust in a very high profile environment?

Best Answer

• Nik
    Nik Blocked Member Posts: 2,879 Bronze Crown
    Answer ✓

Hi.

From Your post is not clear what required.

Are You plan configure Solaris 10 as LDAP-client or LDAP-server ?

What mean "very high profile environment" ?

Solaris 10 support LDAP. https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/816-4556/ldapsetup-1/index.html

In case You have Solaris 10 u8 - it's mean that you have some solution that already work and You can not change it.

What reason implement LDAP now?

Solaris 10 stable work with LDAP by itself, but what other system you have around? It's always problem mix systems from different epoch.

( Different length of security algorithms, different methods for encrypt password etc).

Regards,

Nik

User_W2NP3

Answers

• Nik
    Answer ✓

Hi.

From Your post is not clear what required.

Are You plan configure Solaris 10 as LDAP-client or LDAP-server ?

What mean "very high profile environment" ?

Solaris 10 support LDAP. https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/816-4556/ldapsetup-1/index.html

In case You have Solaris 10 u8 - it's mean that you have some solution that already work and You can not change it.

What reason implement LDAP now?

Solaris 10 stable work with LDAP by itself, but what other system you have around? It's always problem mix systems from different epoch.

( Different length of security algorithms, different methods for encrypt password etc).

Regards,

Nik

User_W2NP3
  • User_W2NP3
    User_W2NP3 Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Hi Nik.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm dealing with a legacy environment that cannot be updated. So, it's 'stuck' at Solaris 10 Update 8. I cannot upgrade to update 13, which, as you know, was the very last release of Solaris 10 (and obviously would have the very last set of LDAP bug fixes for Solaris 10). So is the native Solaris LDAP stable enough in U8 to attempt this? Or would I be better off trying OpenLDAP? But, would OpenLDAP have a problem running on Solaris 10 Update 8

The request is to turn these systems into LDAP clients. The LDAP server is NOT Solaris. I believe it is Red Hat.

"Very high profile environment" as in lots of users and an assembly line depending on their access.

• Nik

Hi.

Create test environment ( Zone - for example) and start test from native LDAP client.

Regards,

Nik