Forum Stats

• 3,815,265 Users
  • 2,258,988 Discussions
  • 7,893,019 Comments

Discussions

ASM disks not visible once server is rebooted

AimanK
AimanK Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon

I have RAC 19c with 2 nodes 19.3 database on linux 7.8 servers.

the issue is the following:

whenever the servers are rebooted (gracefully of abnormally) the cluster wont come up until issue the command "oracleasm scandisks " manually, only but then the cluster would be able to start again.

the same issue happened on another RAC system (installed recently) and the issue is reproducible on it.

i followed the documentation with no success

Oracle Linux 7: ASM Disks Created on FCOE Target Disks are Not Visible After System Reboot ( Doc ID 2065945.1 )

Oracleasm Is Not Showing ASM Disks After Reboot ( Doc ID 2043733.1 )

Regards

Answers

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,800 Red Diamond
    edited Jan 26, 2022 10:00AM

This is why I prefer to use udev and multipath (if there are multiple I/O paths to the scsi device).

ASM will not see disks that do not have the desired ownership and permissions.

ASM is typically pointed to a logical set of device references (created by udev/multipath/etc). These need to exist when ASM does a disk discovery.

Service start order and dependencies are important, as ownership, permission, and logical referencing need to happen in that order prior to ASM starting.

Thus check your services, and their successful startup, and their dependencies - which is much easier to do now with the systemctl init.d interface on OL7 and later.

PS. How and why is this a PL/SQL forum question? Please select more on-topic forums.

• AimanK
    AimanK Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon

Dears

thank you for the information, the servcies dont start unless i start oracleasm manualy and run oracleasm scandisks

the cluster stops starting once it tries to start the asm with error that its not able to find the asm disks

from where should i check the above

Regards

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,800 Red Diamond

This is a Linux service management issue - not specifically a RAC or GRID issue. See https://docs.oracle.com/en/operating-systems/oracle-linux/7/osmanage/ol7-sysproc.html

Do not use hacks like /etc/rc.local unless you have little choice.

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 41,869 Red Diamond

*Moderator Note: Now moved over to an appropriate RAC/ASM forum.