Forum Stats

• 3,837,455 Users
  • 2,262,260 Discussions
  • 7,900,285 Comments

Discussions

Dyn Update Windows - consent for UI administrative applications

User_MNADW
User_MNADW Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Hi - I'm running Dyn Updater (v5.5.0) on a Windows PC Windows 10 Home (21H1, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0) and it constantly pings up with "consent for UI administrative applications". If you leave the PC unattended (which I really want to do for this use case) you might have ~30 such requests when you you return to it ~2 hours later.

Any ideas on how to stop it from doing this? Thanks.

Answers

• User_MNADW
    User_MNADW Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Ok - I guess nobody else has been having this issue, but I managed to find a workaround myself. I'll post it here in case anyone has this issue in the future.

The issue is do with Windows 10 UAC "User Account Control" - which prompts the user whenever an application is trying to make changes to your PC. This is an important level of protection as it can stop malware, ransomware etc. As a workaround to this constant prompting you could turn off UAC completely in Windows settings, but for the above reasons I would highly discourage you from doing this as it will remove protection for all applications.

Instead - I looked for a workaround where UAC was just disabled for one application - Dyn Updater. There are a couple of ways of doing this involving registry settings and setting up a Windows Task that stops UAC from popping up. However I found a neat little utility called "UAC Pass" that will create a new new shortcut (and add it to you start-up tasks - if you desire) and create the Windows Task for you. Just disable the old Dyn start-up shortcut first.

In terms of best practice - this is probably still not ideal as I am not giving Dyn Updater (and only this app) elevated privileges, but given that Oracle is a trusted publisher, I can probably live with this.