Forum Stats

• 3,826,612 Users
  • 2,260,677 Discussions
  • 7,897,031 Comments

Discussions

Redhat Enterprise Linux VM sometimes fails to boot or is inaccessible via localhost

User_9QQ4U
User_9QQ4U Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon
edited Jun 8, 2022 2:52AM in Generic Linux

Hello!

First-time poster here. I have a Redhat Enterprise Linux VM (Kernel 3.10.0-1160.59.1.el7.x86_64 on an x86_64) that I manage using Oracle VM Virtualbox Manager Version 6.1.32 r149290 (Qt5.6.2) on a Windows 11 Pro PC.

Sometimes, my VM fails to boot into a state that I can access it via the address I've entered in my windows hosts file. I don't know what the cause is to troubleshoot further. I don't have a VM background, so I have no idea what the next troubleshooting steps are, so bear with me!

Sometimes, I think the VM fails to boot at all. In these scenarios, I ACPI shut down the VM and boot again. I rinse-repeat this until the VM boots to the red hat login and I can access it via Google Chrome.

Sometimes, the VM boots to the Red Hat login page, but the web browser cannot access it, usually Chrome complains about ERR_CONNECTION_RESET at this point.

Sometimes, the VM logs "DRM:vmw_host_log [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to send host log message" several times before either going into maintenance mode or finally booting into the Redhat Enterprise VM. When the VM boots, it still isn't accessible.

I'm very much a rookie when it comes to VM troubleshooting. I've attached the log from right-clicking the VM -> Show Logs -> Save. Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Answers