Forum Stats

• 3,825,279 Users
  • 2,260,496 Discussions
  • 7,896,476 Comments

Discussions

RHCK KERNEL 4.18 BOOTS BUT UEK 5.4 DOES NOT ( Acer Laptop )

Tiburon7
Tiburon7 Member Posts: 4 Red Ribbon
edited May 24, 2022 6:53AM in Oracle Linux

I'm a recent convert from CENTOS to ORACLE LINUX as of three months ago. I have installed & used ORACLE LINUX 8 now on various kinds of PCs and helped a handful of friends & acquaintances convert their systems from Microsoft Windows to ORACLE LINUX, too!

But, I just ran into a problem when installing ORACLE LINUX 8.6 on a new ACER ASPIRE 5 laptop in that the Red Hat Compatibility Kernel 4.18 boots up with no issues; yet, the UEK 5.4 kernel fails to boot by dropping to dracut emergency shell and although there are ACPI BIOS errors, the main error showing in the boot messages is this:

Timeout waiting for device dev-mapper-ol\x2dswap.device

I added this option in /etc/fstab for the swap device to delay any timeout for 5 minutes, but this did not help:

x-systemd.device-timeout=300s

On one boot attempt, there was a slightly different message about not finding the boot drive /dev/mapper/ol-root where I tried this collection of possible fixes without success:

xfs_repair /dev/mapper/ol-root

dracut> lvm vgscan

dracut> lvm vgchange -ay

dracut> blkid

In the above case, blkid found nothing to list.

So, I'm seeking suggestions for what to try next in order to get the 5.4 UEK kernel to boot as easily as the 4.18 RHCK does.

THANKS!

Tagged: