• 3,825,267 Users
  • 2,260,491 Discussions
  • 7,896,472 Comments

Discussions

OL8 Gnome desktop shortcuts?

Fuinha_Azul
Fuinha_Azul Member Posts: 7 Blue Ribbon

Hi there!

I need to create simple desktop shortcuts for some applications on OL8 using the default desktop interface (gnome). I tried everything (gnome tweak, .desktop file on diferent folders, ...) but I was unable to create it.

Any hints?

Thanks!

Answers

• Petr Hadraba
    Petr Hadraba Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon

Hello,

First of all, I'm not an expert, but anyway. Icons on Desktop are disabled by default. This needs to be enabled in Tweaks: Extensions -> Desktop icons. If the extension is not available, it can be installed from Software (additional Gnome extensions are in EPEL or AppStream repos, if I remember correctly).

Next, you need to have (or create) a .desktop file which launches the desired application. If you're about to create your own, put it in ~/.local/share/applications/ directory. The folder is monitored by Gnome and any change is immediately visible in Activities -> Show Applications.

To create a clickable desktop icon just make a symlink of the .desktop file in ~/Desktop/ directory. It will appear immediately as text-file-like icon. Right click on it and select Allow Launching. From now on double-clicking the icon launches the application.

Regarding the .desktop file. The absolute minimum I found is:

[Desktop Entry]

Type=Application

Name=<Display Mame>

Icon=</path/to/png/or/svg>

Exec=</path/to/app/bin/executable>

Terminal=false

This seems to be sufficient.

As you can see it is non-invasive setup (apart of the Gnome Extension).

Give it a try and let as know if it works.