• 3,825,285 Users
  • 2,260,497 Discussions
  • 7,896,481 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Linux 9?

philfry
philfry Member Posts: 15 Green Ribbon

Hi all,

is there some kind of timeline for a beta/rc/release of Oracle Linux 9 yet?

Tagged:

Comments

• SteffanCline
    SteffanCline Member Posts: 52 Blue Ribbon
    edited May 27, 2022 7:56AM

How funny. I came to the forums to check for a thread on this and it turned out to be the very first one. haha. Sadly no answer from anyone yet on this. RHEL9 and AL9 are out with RL9 coming very soon. I'm really looking forward to the release of OL9 before I deploy some new servers.

• philfry

Since all other RHEL derivates have released their version 9, I guess Oracle is not done with the UEK for OL9 yet.

• user10174131
    user10174131 Member Posts: 37 Blue Ribbon
    edited May 31, 2022 3:05PM

The beta for UEKR7, based on a 5.15 kernel, was announced on May 10th.

It would be ideal to use R7 in v9, but this might cause some delay.

I would prefer to have a stable v9 with UEKR7 than R6. The UEK supports many older devices/drivers that are removed from upstream.

https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/post/unbreakable-enterprise-kernel-release-7-beta-for-oracle-linux-is-now-available

• philfry

Well, Oracle has released an OL9 preview, which is very nice.

Hijacking my own thread – are there any plans in OL9 to support older hardware? Redhat dropped support for x86-64-v1 machines, which means qemu64 and kvm64 vms as well as all cpus that don't support SSE4 and other x64-64-v2 stuff will not run RHEL9.

Since both RHCK and UEK7 kernels crash on qemu64/kvm64/Opteron_G3/… machines, I fear Oracle to have dropped x86-64-v1 support, too.

• andreas.dijkman
    andreas.dijkman Member Posts: 92 Bronze Badge

The SSE4-support is in no small part an mix of support in all the software-libraries that are used, like the kernel, glibc, libstdc++ and all the used compilers. If RedHat drops old hardware in their build-scripts, it's very hard to re-introduce them in a custom build of the OS, as you need to test EVERYTHING again on older hardware.

And it saves a lot of headaches on your build-enviroment because you don't need to build and test it all on ancient servers as well. That gets expensive too, really fast, besides that older servers are slooooowwwwww.