Forum Stats

• 3,873,259 Users
  • 2,266,524 Discussions
  • 7,911,483 Comments

Discussions

Fresh Oracle Linux 8 Install: Degraded Due to Failure of Uptrack-Prefetch.Service. How to Fix?

John T Davis
John T Davis Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Hello,

tl;dr Question: Since I'm not using Ksplice and it doesn't even seem to be supported in my cloud instance, can I just turn this service off to get rid of this error? Do I need this? If I can just turn it off, do I just disable uptrack-prefetch.service, or something else?

I've just set up a free Oracle Cloud account and spun up an instance of Oracle Linux 8; I'm trying to figure out how to use it well enough to set up a Minecraft server, since a less technically inclined friend of mine wants to do the same thing and will be relying on me for tech support.

I've got a good bit of experience with Linux via Manjaro and Ubuntu on various SBCs, which I've used to run some overcomplicated docker container instances (I didn't know what I was doing at first, so I took the long way around), but I've never worked with Red Hat-type distros, so I'm going through a bit of a learning curve.

I just noticed I've got a non-functioning service, according to systemd. I don't recognize it, as it appears to be some unique-to-Oracle or -Red Hat thing, but it looks like I might not need it since I'm not using Ksplice? (I think? In my research so far it's described as a "legacy" mechanism for centralized kernel updates...)

]$ systemctl --failed

UNIT           LOAD  ACTIVE SUB  DESCRIPTION         

uptrack-prefetch.service loaded failed failed Prefetch new Ksplice updates

]$ systemctl status uptrack-prefetch.service 

uptrack-prefetch.service - Prefetch new Ksplice updates

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/uptrack-prefetch.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2022-05-30 03:17:00 GMT; 11h ago

Process: 2123 ExecStart=/usr/lib/uptrack/uptrack-prefetch.sh (code=exited, status=13)

Main PID: 2123 (code=exited, status=13)

May 30 03:16:59 $HOST systemd[1]: Starting Prefetch new Ksplice updates...

May 30 03:17:00 $HOST uptrack-prefetch.sh[2156]: Cannot find Ksplice Uptrack information for your kernel version

May 30 03:17:00 $HOST uptrack-prefetch.sh[2156]: (5.4.17-2136.307.3.5.el8uek.aarch64 #2 SMP Thu May 26 18:21:01 PDT 2022).

May 30 03:17:00 $HOST uptrack-prefetch.sh[2156]: Your kernel is probably not yet supported by Ksplice Uptrack.

May 30 03:17:00 $HOST systemd[1]: uptrack-prefetch.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=13/n/a

May 30 03:17:00 $HOST systemd[1]: uptrack-prefetch.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

May 30 03:17:00 $HOST systemd[1]: Failed to start Prefetch new Ksplice updates.

Tagged:

Answers

• Sreek-Oracle
    Sreek-Oracle Member Posts: 74 Employee

HI John,

By default when you register the server with ULN, ksplice option will be ticked/selected to enable, to change this URL https://status-ksplice.oracle.com/status/ -> setting -> New Machine Policy and change it accordingly.

Login to URL with ULN credentials

https://status-ksplice.oracle.com/status/ -> Allow/Deny Policies -> Select your hostname > then choose all or deny.

Remove completly with uptrack & ksplice packages follow the below link

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37670_01/E39380/html/section-hzf_fhr_jt2.html

Regards

Sreek

• John T Davis
    John T Davis Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Thanks, @Sreek-Oracle ! That's a lot more in-depth information than I was hoping for. :)

Just looking at it briefly, it looks like ULN (Unbreakable Linux Network) is a paid service, correct? I've never registered for it and don't need it (all I'm doing is spinning up free VMs to test things).

I'd rather not set up a paid service just to get the systemd error to stop, so I think I'll remove Ksplice using the instructions you provided.

Thanks again!

Sreek-Oracle
  • Sreek-Oracle
    Sreek-Oracle Member Posts: 74 Employee

Hi John

Thats correct, ULN is similar to Red Hat Network (RHN). To access ULN, a valid Customer Support Identifier (CSI) is required. To obtain a CSI, purchase Linux support from the Oracle Store. Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) is a comprehensive resource for Oracle Linux Support subscribers, and offers access to additional Linux software (e.g. ASMlib, DTrace) as well as patches, updates and fixes.

There is no need to reinstall the existing operating system such as RHEL, CentOS or Scientific Linux to obtain Oracle Linux software updates. You simply register for an account with the Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) using a valid customer support identifier (CSI), then you download and install registration software and use it to register your server. Once you have completed these steps, you may use yum or up2date to download and install updates from ULN. The Getting Started – How to Connect to Oracle Linux Yum Server document provides information on how to connect to the Oracle Linux yum server and obtain software updates via yum for Oracle Linux and compatible Linux distributions such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS and Scientific Linux

Stay Safe , Stay Blessed , have a nice day ahead.

Sreek