• 3,851,977 Users
  • 2,264,055 Discussions
  • 7,904,923 Comments

Discussions

I have following Oracle goldengate query

User_EKY42
User_EKY42 Member Posts: 6 Blue Ribbon
edited Jun 1, 2022 3:56AM in GoldenGate

Oracle goldengate was installed after oracle 12c database was upgraded to Oracle 19c but the database compatible parameter was untouched/unchanged, still compatible parameter points to 12c.

during the installation of Oracle goldengate 19c, chosen database version as 19c

It is an active - passive setup with bi -directional replication. Since DB in production, performed expdp scn based backup and started extract on active site using the same scn. after the start, extract took many hours to come out of recovery phase and now status is shown as processing data but processing rate is very slow. when queried the status it still shows processing the same archivelog.

each passing day extract lag is increasing.

Note there was 1 hour gap b//w backup and starting the extract. Traffic is very low. in a day 10-15 archive log are generated.

Now the question here

• Does database compatible is playing any role here?
  • how to come out of this situation and resolve the issue?

Appreciate your inputs.

Tagged:

Answers

• K.Gan
    K.Gan Member Posts: 2,815 Bronze Crown

I would add a new extract with a different name and exttrail obviously and the same parameters and see if it works better. If so abandon the old one. Once you establish that it is better you might need to re sync with a new scn and begin the new extract with that scn.

• Veera-Oracle
    Veera-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager - Oracle GoldenGate Member Posts: 823 Employee
    • Does database compatible is playing any role here?

--- Yes, it does but I don't think in your case it does. For example, if there is a feature in OGG 19c which will work on Oracle DB 19c, if you have set the compatible to 12c, then this feature will not work.

• how to come out of this situation and resolve the issue?

--- As mentioned by Kee, you can, create an additional Extract process to check if that works. If the issue persists, I would request you to open an SR with us (Oracle) to investigate further.

Regards,

Veera

• User_Z32ZV
    User_Z32ZV Member Posts: 42 Employee

You have Installed OGG 12c for 19c DB or OGG 19c for 19c DB?

In any case I would recommend you to change the compatible to 19c as you will not be able to use any new features of 19c and any recommendations or patches may not help.

• K.Gan
    K.Gan Member Posts: 2,815 Bronze Crown

Don't think this is what is done "You have Installed OGG 12c for 19c DB or OGG 19c for 19c DB?"

Oracle DB upgraded to 19c and compatibility set to 12c. OGG is 19c and database for OGG is set to 19c. This is the correct procedure. The OGG database should be 19c, whatever compatibility is irrelevant for OGG.

Setting DB compatibility is important just after an upgrade as the application may not be change to handle the higher version. If the application used deprecated features for 19c but available for 12c or a 12c configuration is incompatible in 19c, then without the compatibility setting the application can crash or have unpredictable behavior.