• 3,873,262 Users
  • 2,266,527 Discussions
  • 7,911,486 Comments

Discussions

RPM in repo question

User_ER2P2
User_ER2P2 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Hi ... I am trying to install nginx 1.20.1 onto Oracle Linux 8.5

I have enabled the appstreams channel, which connects to here...

https://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL8/appstream/x86_64/

If you look in the above repo, it is clear that nginx.1.20.1 is available (as nginx-1.20.1-1.0.1.module+el8.6.0+20551+f063ea60.x86_64.rpm)

However, from the command line, if i do a `sudo dnf list available | grep nginx` I only get offered nginx 1.14 from the appstream channel

sh-4.4$ sudo dnf list available | grep nginx

nginx.x86_64                     1:1.14.1-9.0.1.module+el8.0.0+5347+9282027e        ol8_appstream

ive tried doing a `dnf clean all` but it still only gives me the option to install nginx 1.14 despite many other versions that are actually available in that same repo...Does anyone know what im doing wrong here? why cant I see the other versions?, why is dnf hiding them from me?

Answers

• andreas.dijkman
    andreas.dijkman Member Posts: 92 Bronze Badge
    edited Jun 16, 2022 8:31AM

Because EL8 has modules in the AppStream, not 'regular' packages. That's the new way of using new versions of software and not break anything if you switch to a new version.

[[email protected] ~]# yum module list nginx
    Last metadata expiration check: 3:09:19 ago on Thu 16 Jun 2022 07:17:25 AM CEST.
    Oracle Linux 8 Application Stream (x86_64)
    Name                                                                             Stream                                                                              Profiles                                                                              Summary                                                                                  
    nginx                                                                            1.14 [d]                                                                            common [d]                                                                            nginx webserver                                                                          
    nginx                                                                            1.16                                                                                common [d]                                                                            nginx webserver                                                                          
    nginx                                                                            1.18                                                                                common [d]                                                                            nginx webserver                                                                          
    nginx                                                                            1.20                                                                                common [d]                                                                            nginx webserver                                                                          

Oracle Linux 8 EPEL Modular Packages for Development (x86_64)
    Name                                                                             Stream                                                                              Profiles                                                                              Summary                                                                                  
    nginx                                                                            mainline                                                                            common                                                                                nginx webserver                                                                          
    nginx                                                                            1.20                                                                                common [d]                                                                            nginx webserver                                                                          

Hint: [d]efault, [e]nabled, [x]disabled, [i]nstalled

You can see here that nginx 1.14 is the default version of nginx in EL8. You have to switch to a new version with dnf.

Documantation about switching to a newer version of a module: https://docs.oracle.com/en/operating-systems/oracle-linux/software-management/sfw-mgmt-InstallSoftwareonOracleLinux.html#appstream-module-switch