• 2,262,383 Discussions
  • 7,900,687 Comments

Discussions

EPEL in Oracle Linux 9

User_UYV41
User_UYV41 Member Posts: 3 Blue Ribbon

So I installed this using

dnf -y install oracle-epel-release-el9

However it seems to be broken. For example "dnf install zvbi" fails telling me no suitable package. However if I jump on a genuine RHEL9 system with EPEL setup and do the same It will install just fine and "dnf info zvbi" tells me it's an EPEL package.

In case anyone is wondering zvbi is a prerequisite for ffmpeg from RPM fusion which again installs happily on a genuine RHEL install but gives a whole slew of errors on Oracle Linux 9.

Seems odd that a week later that the Oracle mirrors of EPEL would still be out of date?

Answers

• User_UYV41

So I can work around it by install zvbi directly from EPEL, but it still does not appear to be in the Oracle version of EPEL. So the question becomes is the Oracle EPEL Packages for Development repo supposed to contain everything in the EPEL repo or not? Because if it is then it's "broken" and if it's not then what are the issues with switching to the "genuine" EPEL repo?

• Simon Coter-Oracle
    Simon Coter-Oracle Member Posts: 77 Employee

Hi,

"zvbi" package is still not there for OL9 on EPEL channel.

The same is actually available for OL8:

[[email protected] ~]# dnf info zvbi

Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:09 ago on Mon 11 Jul 2022 10:57:58 PM UTC.

Available Packages

Name    : zvbi

Version   : 0.2.35

Release   : 9.el8

Architecture : src

Size    : 1.0 M

Source   : None

Repository : ol8_developer_EPEL

Summary   : Raw VBI, Teletext and Closed Caption decoding library

URL          : http://zapping.sourceforge.net/ZVBI/index.html

License   : LGPLv2+ and GPLv2+ and BSD

Description : ZVBI provides functions to capture and decode VBI data. The vertical blanking

: interval (VBI) is an interval in a television signal that temporarily suspends

: transmission of the signal for the electron gun to move back up to the first

: line of the television screen to trace the next screen field. The vertical

: blanking interval can be used to carry data, since anything sent during the VBI

: would naturally not be displayed; various test signals, closed captioning, and

: other digital data can be sent during this time period.

• User_UYV41

Well I was not likely to install a package out of OL8 EPEL on an OL9 install when you can manually install a RHEL9 package directly from EPEL. However looks like it eventually made it into the OL9 EPEL channel.

I am new to using Oracle Linux so still feeling my way around. The unanswered question is should one expect the OL9 EPEL to have everything in it that EPEL has. Assuming it does what is the likely delay in something being in EPEL before it makes it to OL9 EPEL?