Forum Stats

• 3,851,960 Users
  • 2,264,054 Discussions
  • 7,904,917 Comments

Discussions

materialized view Vs Oracle Golden Gate

User_HM44O
User_HM44O Member Posts: 12 Green Ribbon

Hi, I'm wondering what are the differences in using materialized view and Oracle Golden Gate for pulling data from source(s) to target(s) database and vice versa, what are best cases to use one over the other, advantages and disadvantages.

I'm implementing Goldengate as a standard way of pulling data, but the people who I work with already have materialized views for pulling data, and they are asking why go through Oracle Golden Gate if we already have something working? why to change ?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• K.Gan
    K.Gan Member Posts: 2,815 Bronze Crown
    Answer ✓

Depends on what you want, I take it that the materialized view is on the target and you have a database link to the source tables? And why even bother with a view, go select from the tables directly from the target database. So what happens when the link is lost?

Goldengate provides a real time and consistent database between source and target and if the link is lost you still have data before the link drops. Sure if you just want a snapshot don't use OGG. All depends on your requirements.

You sure can't use what you described to have a DR system for example. Horses for causes. OGG is not a standard way.

Answers

• K.Gan
    K.Gan Member Posts: 2,815 Bronze Crown
    Answer ✓

Depends on what you want, I take it that the materialized view is on the target and you have a database link to the source tables? And why even bother with a view, go select from the tables directly from the target database. So what happens when the link is lost?

Goldengate provides a real time and consistent database between source and target and if the link is lost you still have data before the link drops. Sure if you just want a snapshot don't use OGG. All depends on your requirements.

You sure can't use what you described to have a DR system for example. Horses for causes. OGG is not a standard way.