• 2,264,287 Discussions
  • 7,905,483 Comments

Discussions

Migrating Servlet to Portlet Web Application

laknarayan
laknarayan Member Posts: 14
edited Oct 1, 2008 12:11PM in WebLogic Portal
Hi,

The client planning to build a Spring based Potlet application in Weblogic Portal 10.2.
Due to knowledge/skill set availability; they are proposing a plan of developing pure Servlet based web application with Spring.
And future they want to migrate in to Portlets.

They asked me to come up with plan for this.

I feel it is going to be more as rework kind of (except service and DAO layer), since both are diff API and diff coding methodology.

Please advice me.

Thanks,
Lakshmi

Answers

649271 Member Posts: 76
    Hi Lakshmi,

What your client wants is a Web Application but to run it in a Portal container instead of Weblogic Server container.

What you can do is follow standard J2ee Design patterns of MVC and keep your presentation layer totally decoupled. In this case it will be JSPs for you.

When you guys have to move to portlet simply port these JSPs to Portlets. You dont have to necessarily use Page Flows or simlar portal technologies.

In that case your servlets/Spring classes will have no impact including configuration files.

Thanks
    Vishnu
  • laknarayan
    edited Sep 30, 2008 12:40PM
    Vishnu,

Thanks for the response.
    I understood completely first 2 points of yours.

As you mentioned i will be developing Spring/Servlet based pure application; using JSPs for presentation layer.
    Up to this is fine.

Now; i didnt understand porting JSPs to Portlets. Can you throw little more light on this.
    The View of the.jsp file is coupled with Spring URL mapping. And the navigation from one .jsp to another also depends on the spring controllers only.

then how come i change .jsp to portlets?. (Especially they need JSR 168 compliant portlets).
    Spring based JSR 168 portlets has diffent handler mapping syntax compare to servlets.

I used to create with java portlets (JSR 168) and intergrate with weblogic portlets/portals.
    The java Portlets inturn has the .jsp rendering and navaigations (using spring).

I don't know how to port JSPs to Portlets.

Thanks,
    Lakshmi.

Edited by: Lakshmi Narayanan on Sep 30, 2008 9:39 AM
    653103 Member Posts: 114
    I don't know if i understand what you don't understand, but you have t create a portlet based on an existing jsp?? if i'm ok you should use WorkSpace studio, create your project add application with your jsp files and then search the wizard of a new portlet, choose jsp portlet, locate your jsp and it is all done It's all in weblogic portal documentation
  • laknarayan
    Oscar,

Thanks for the update.

I think JSP/Portlet option is not JSR 168 potlet.
    Update me if i am not making any sense.

Thanks,
    Lakshmi.
    653103 Member Posts: 114
    No it's not. But i think it is a very good solution unless you want to add some other functionatllity besides showing a jsp
  • laknarayan
    Oscar,

I totally agree of creating JSP protlets and it is good solution.
    But they ask me to let them know the impact to effort and schedule if we pursue a pure web application deployment in scheduled date using a design that will support a minimum of effort to migrate into JSR168 and the portal infrastructure later.

I need to tell them whether it is feasible with minimum effort or rework except service and DAO layers.

Advice me.

Thanks,
    Lakshmi.
    649271 Member Posts: 76
    Lakshmi,

Your initial Q was not for a JSR 168 complaint portlet.

Vishnu
This discussion has been closed.