This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 31st, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,899 Users
  • 2,269,649 Discussions
  • 7,916,821 Comments

Discussions

Dashboard prompt and user defined filter?

Do anyone know if it is possible to add a defined filter to a dashboard prompt - for instance a dropdown (to limit values in dropdown)? The idea with the filter is to reuse it (and maintain it one place) several places.
Tagged:

Answers

• David_T
    David_T Member Posts: 2,432
    In the "Show" field of a dashboard prompt, change "All Values" to "SQL Results." Add the filter as a WHERE clause then save the prompt as a shared prompt. Other report designers can then use the prompt which would have the filter already defined and it is in one location so maintenance is easy.
  • HenrikCph
    HenrikCph Member Posts: 15
    Just to clarify - can i add a reference/name from a filter in the where clause?

Thanks a lot for fast reply and your interest.
  • David_T
    No. You would actually have to define what the WHERE clause would be. Can you not define your filter using a WHERE clause? Why is it necessary for the filter to have a name to reference? I believe there is more to your question than what "meets the eye."
  • HenrikCph
    HenrikCph Member Posts: 15
    The reason why i want to reuse the filter (if it was possible) was to use it both in dropdowns but also in answer reports (based on filters). And again if it is a filter - it's possible to show the filter on a page as well - as in information.
  • David_T
    Okay, then do this:

For dashboard prompts, do what I outlined above. For use in Answers, create a Saved Filter which you can use over and over. Granted it is now two places that you have to maintain, but it is still better than recreating the filter parameters from scratch every time you need it.
This discussion has been closed.