Forum Stats

• 3,782,436 Users
  • 2,254,645 Discussions
  • 7,880,078 Comments

Discussions

Can't stop oracle replication without affecting existing table...

666979 Member Posts: 6
edited Oct 30, 2008 3:51AM in Replication
Hi All,

I am facing some problem with oracle replication set up. I have a replication set up already running fine. There is a table called Emp_temp in the replication group which is in ASYNCHRONOUS mode(replicating data for every 15 min). My application is writing data into this table which is in primary server (there are only two servers in the set up i.e. primary and secondary).

I want to stop the replication but my application should keep on writing to Emp_temp table even after replication stopped. But when I stopped the replication (through oemapp GUI) my application is throwing errors stating that it could not commit to that table. Can anyone tell me how to gracefully stop the replication? Is there any way even after stopping the replication application can continue writing to the Emp_temp table?

My application talks to the Oracle using OCI.

Error in my application log is: "Error ORA-23326: object group "PUBLIC"."ASYNCH" is quiesced"

Oracle Version using: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

Your early reply is highly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Iqbal
Tagged:

Answers

26741 Member Posts: 4,923 Gold Trophy
    To "temporarily stop replication" you should disable the PUSH job ---- not QUIESCE the RepGroup.
    Oracle then continues transactions but maintains them in a Queue table till you re-enable the PUSH job.

Quiescing the RepGroup is done when you want to make changes to the RepGroup.
  • Hello

Yes, breaking the PUSH job would be the only solution. In multimaster replication the changes are applied on the remote site through the PUSH job hence you should mark this job as BROKEN to stop the replication.

If you QUIESCE (or SUSPEND) the replication group via OEM, then it would not allow any DML changes to the tables in the replication group. Hence you should break the PUSH job instead of SUSPENDing the Replication Group.

Again, you should re-enable the PUSH job at the earliest else the base queues for replication would grow very fast in a high OLTP system. Once these queues have grown considerably then that could raise performance problems with the PUSH job.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Rijesh
    rijesh  chandran - oracle
    666979 Member Posts: 6
    edited Oct 30, 2008 3:51AM
    Thank you very much Hemanth and Rijesh. That was a great help.

Edited by: user10468455 on Oct 30, 2008 12:50 AM
This discussion has been closed.