• 3,853,738 Users
  • 2,264,260 Discussions
  • 7,905,437 Comments

Discussions

Automate Schedule worksheets to be sent via email

670384 Member Posts: 33
edited Nov 19, 2008 12:59PM in Discoverer
Hi guys,

I m new to Discoverer Plus 10g (10.2.1.48) and need to automate the schedule worksheet to be sent to certain group of people via email. I've gone through this forum and came to know that Plus does not have any direct facility to automate.

Can anyone please provide me the steps to automate the schedule worksheets from Discoverer plus. I appreciate your help
Tagged:

Answers

• Rod West
    Rod West Member Posts: 4,025 Gold Trophy
    Hi,

You cannot automate emailing scheduled worksheets from Discoverer Plus. You can do this from a Windows workstation using Discoverer Desktop and a third party scheduler.

There are a number of tools and approaches you can take. Details of one approach are on the Learn Discoverer website (http://www.learndiscoverer.com/scheduling.htm).

Rod West
    Thanks Rod. Appreciate your help. Is this a free download or do I have to buy the single license.?
  • Rod West
    Rod West Member Posts: 4,025 Gold Trophy
    Hi,

I think there is a free download available. You can use other tools including the windows scheduling, which is on your PC already.

Rod West
  • Russ Proudman
    Russ Proudman Member Posts: 2,079
    edited Nov 17, 2008 9:35AM
    To what Rod mentions about other tools.

I've been doing this idea (of running reports via scheduler) for probably 15 years now and when I first learned / started to it, I used a freeware program called JIT. I think they may now charge but not sure.

Then I found even for $50 or so, it was such a drag at a client to get a PO, etc. that I started using the free inherent Windows scheduler that comes with ... surprise ... Windows.

It works perfectly well and I've probably got 3 bigger clients using the Windows version, so you can always go that route. It may or may not have the features of other schedulers but I've never found it to be a problem.

So Michael suggests one but you can use a number of others - some free, some not.

Russ
    Hi Russ,

Thanks for your reply. Would you please put down the steps as to how to schedule and send it via email ? As I said I am new to it and just need to understand better. I appreciate your time.

Regards,
    Sai
  • User_K0SRY
    User_K0SRY Member Posts: 7 Employee
    Hi Sai,

you need to do this by creating a command line batch file (.bat) that you register with the Windows system scheduler (on XP): Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Scheduled Tasks. Within the batch file you need to run commands to:
    + export a Discoverer report to e.g. XLS format using either EUL API or Desktop Command Line (refer to Discoverer documentation for details)
    + attach the exported file a to an email and send it

The second step is a bit of challenge on Windows as standard email applications like Outlook does not accept command line parameters. But if you google on 'windows command line email' you get a number of tools that allow this.

There is another maybe more sophisticated alternative to this command line approach and it's the recent Discoverer integration with Oracle BI Publisher. You can see an example how to email a scheduled Discoverer report with BI Publisher here .
  • Russ Proudman
    Russ Proudman Member Posts: 2,079
    edited Nov 17, 2008 11:17AM
    You can also see the method via one of my Internet site presentations at:

http://proudman.homestead.com/files/sydney_2001_dashboard_presentation.ppt

The presentations section is extremely out of date but the theory still is the same.

Basically you run .BAT files on your Disco Desktop dedicated machine, export to a format that's pretty such as HTML, and export them to a corporate disk location. The other stuff is showing how you can build a simple menu via Word (ie: not all clients want to pay for an HTML front end builder) and point to those pre-run reports. Security works on the machine as well as you use 'reporting' users that you set in basic Windows security.

But the concept - and example DOS command is the same basic structure.

Also, finally, Rod West has long devised a method that uses VBasic to do the same kinda' thing that you could look into as well.

Russ

Edited by: Russ Proudman on Nov 17, 2008 11:15 AM
  • Michael Armstrong-Smith
    Michael Armstrong-Smith Member Posts: 4,403
    edited Nov 18, 2008 3:03PM
    Hi Sai
    In addition to the great information provided by Russ, did you download the free paper from my website as suggested by Rod?

Full examples of the command line code and batch commands are included in the paper free of charge. Once again the download link is: http://learndiscoverer.com/downloads/downloads.htm

Also, if you have a copy of my Oracle Discoverer 10g Handbook, available from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Discoverer-10g-Handbook/dp/0072262141/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227038431&sr=8-1) for a really good price, I include almost 20 pages packed with information about how to manage third-party scheduling using the Windows native scheduler. There is far too much information to post here I'm afraid because, as I say, there is almost 20 pages of information.

Best wishes
    Michael
    Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did buy the book you are mentioning. I guess the book contains mostly about Discoverer Desktop but not Discoverer Plus for scheduling and emailing.

if I m wrong I will thorougly make a research on it and get back to you

Thanks again.

Regards,
    SAI
  • Michael Armstrong-Smith
    Michael Armstrong-Smith Member Posts: 4,403
    edited Nov 19, 2008 12:59PM
    Hi Sai
    You are correct. You will not be able to enable third-party schedule using Plus. The only way to do it is to use Desktop using Windows scripting.

Another possibility would be to interface the Discoverer server with BI Publisher. BI Publisher has the means of pulling Discoverer content on a scheduled basis and delivering it via Email. The interface to BI Publisher from Discoverer requires that you do one of the two following scenarios:

1. upgrade to 10.1.2.2, apply the most recent 10.1.2.2 cumulative patch then apply the appropriate web services patch
    2. upgrade to 10.1.2.3 and apply the most recent 10.1.2.3 cumulative patch. There is no need for a web services patch when using 10.1.2.3

Note: if you are using E-Business Suite you can only use 10.1.2.3 if you apply cumulative patch 1 or higher. The base 10.1.2.3 is not certified with E-Business Suite. For 10.1.2.2, so long as you have applied CP5 and a one-off EBS patch then you are also certifed against E-Business Suite. This posting on my blog has more information: http://learndiscoverer.blogspot.com/2008/04/most-useful-patch-numbers.html

Best wishes
    Michael
This discussion has been closed.