• 3,837,484 Users
  • 2,262,264 Discussions
  • 7,900,298 Comments

Discussions

OWB 10gR2 and variables

AndrewD
AndrewD Member Posts: 34
edited Jan 6, 2009 6:41AM in Warehouse Builder
I am using OWB 10g R2. I want to have a Process Flow (which will eventually run in Oracle Workflow) run a mapping which does a straightforward ETL process from a source table to a target table. If that mapping completes successfully I want to run a second mapping which updates a status on the record(s) processed in the source table to indicate a successful completion. To achieve this I have tried to adopt the following approach:
(a) take the PK of the processed record out of the first mapping via a Mapping Output Parameter into a Process Flow variable
(b) feed the content of the Process Flow variable into the second mapping via a Mapping Input Parameter.

I have added the Mapping Input and Output Parameters to my respective mappings and created the variable in the process flow, but I cannot find any method of binding the mapping parameters to the variable, or the variable to the parameters. I cannot find any examples of this being done by Googling and yet I would have expected this to be a commonplace process. The Warehouse Builder documentation surrounding variables is decidedly thin on the ground. The only reference I can find to using variables says "You can bind an input parameter of a task to a variable. The variables appear in the popup menu in the Object Details window." With the variable selected in the Process Editor explorer and in the Object Details window of the variable there is nothing I can use to bind to a parameter - I only have the properties "Name", "Description", "Data type", "Value" and "Literal".

Can anyone throw any light on how this is done?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• David Allan-Oracle
    David Allan-Oracle Member Posts: 2,479 Employee
    Answer ✓
    Hi

I understand your frustration, does the image below help? It illustrates a master/child process flow and how the child with parameters (like your map with params) returns an output that is landed in a variable, and then another child process is called and is passed a parameter via a variable that it is bound to.

http://blogs.oracle.com/warehousebuilder/owb_flow_param0.JPG

Cheers
    David

Answers

• David Allan-Oracle
    David Allan-Oracle Member Posts: 2,479 Employee
    Answer ✓
    Hi

I understand your frustration, does the image below help? It illustrates a master/child process flow and how the child with parameters (like your map with params) returns an output that is landed in a variable, and then another child process is called and is passed a parameter via a variable that it is bound to.

http://blogs.oracle.com/warehousebuilder/owb_flow_param0.JPG

Cheers
    David
  • AndrewD
    AndrewD Member Posts: 34
    Many thanks, dallan. This is what I was hoping for. It illustrates the relationships nicely.
This discussion has been closed.