Forum Stats

• 3,782,436 Users
  • 2,254,645 Discussions
  • 7,880,078 Comments

Discussions

Road map for Oracle application server

609976 Member Posts: 53
I assume Oracle will at some point merge both it's Application Server, and the acquired BEA WebLogic Server with WebLogic being the main code source. Does anyone know of such a roadmap or direction of statement that I can review (diagram or wording)?

Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• BGrant
    BGrant Member Posts: 170
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, they're combining the two product suites. They have a Webcast & a PDF overview

http://www.oracle.com/products/middleware/bea.html

Look for the WebCast link or the Presentation PDF under the A World-Class Combination paragraph.

Answers

• Roberto Barrera
    Roberto Barrera Member Posts: 1,418
    As far as I know, they wont merge this products, they will have like two different solutions, and they may share applications, but not be one single product.

Is like IBM DB2 and Informix, Two products of the same, different prize, share things but not the same thing.

Regards.
  • BGrant
    BGrant Member Posts: 170
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, they're combining the two product suites. They have a Webcast & a PDF overview

http://www.oracle.com/products/middleware/bea.html

Look for the WebCast link or the Presentation PDF under the A World-Class Combination paragraph.
  • Asif M. Naqvi
    Asif M. Naqvi Member Posts: 785 Silver Badge
    edited Jan 9, 2009 2:13PM
    Oracle after a whole bunch of acquisitions and more recently after the BEA acquisition, is now on somewhat synthesis mode for the range of products they now have. Generally they call for three tracks for products;

- strategic products:
    the ones that Oracle envisions to keep and promote for long-term future needs; this period is greater than 9 years;
    - continue and converge track products:
    which includes those which will be continued for next 9 years (from this past summer) or so. newer versions of these products will be released and new features will be enhanced, products will be supported for next 9 yrs; but beyond 9years, the products will effectively be merged into one strategic offering.
    - those which are to be discontinued/replaced by some other products;

so for example, for web 2.0 or enterprise suites/user interaction, Oracle defines WebCenter as its strategic product, instead of Oracle Portal which is on a continue and converge track now. or for application server, WebLogic Server is the strategic product. etc. whereas OAS is on continue and converge track.

about each product type/technology, Oracle has new SODs (statement of direction) which defines the products and expected support offerings. please see this link.
    [Oracle Middleware Strategy|http://www.oracle.com/products/middleware/bea.html]

hope that helps!
    Asif M. Naqvi
    609976 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks. You've answered my question!
This discussion has been closed.