• 2,266,490 Discussions
  • 7,911,391 Comments

Discussions

Cannot associate BR to Planning after Microsoft Patch

user166758
user166758 Member Posts: 50
edited Sep 22, 2009 10:35AM in Planning and Budgeting
Hi all,

after a Microsoft Security Patch the Business Rules are not shown in Planning anymore.
The BR is still available in EAS, but when I try to associate Planning to the BR, the Planning tree cannot be opened.
Any ideas why this happens? Port issue?

In other posts the HBR log is mentioned. Where can I find this log?

Thanks,
Bernd
Tagged:

Best Answer

• JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

HBRServer.properties has the information that EAS uses to point to the repository
    There is also a copy of this file within the planning web application, planning uses this for business rule information.

If both copies of the file are pointing to the correct repository then you shouldn't get incorrect server names when you try and associate a business rule with a planning application.

You sometimes get existing business rules pointing to other servers if the buiness rule has been exported from one environment into another without updating the xml export file.

Cheers

John
    http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/

Answers

• Alp Burak
    Alp Burak Member Posts: 1,268 Silver Trophy
    Hi,
    Which version of Planning and EAS are you using? It might be the case where the communication ports between Planning and BR is being blocked.
    From planning server try to send a telnet request to BR server with ports 10080, 10081 and 10082 to make sure they are all right.
    Then from EAS server try to send a telnet request to Planning server with ports 8300, 8301 and 8302 to make sure they are all right.
    I'm not sure how many ports exactly are being used though.

To be precise from command prompt simply type "telnet servername portnumber" (eg. telnet BRSERVER 10080). Seeing an immediate black screen means that the connection is OK.

However, for earlier (than 9.3.1) versions of Planning, there might be more reasons causing this.

Cheers,
    Alp
  • Sandeep Reddy
    Sandeep Reddy Member Posts: 1,490
    Hi Bernd,

1. Microsoft patch application would not cause a port to close .Is it a regular mantainence activity of microsoft patch applications.

2. hbrserver.log can be found in your installatio drive\Hyperion\logs\EAS.

Sandeep Reddy Enti
    HCC
    http://hyperionconsultancy.com/
    Sandeep Reddy
  • user166758
    Looks like it is config problem. Something seems to be mixed up.

From EAS Prod I can see the Test Planning Servers. That should not be the case. Anybody an idea, where to find the config files for the BR Server?

Thanks,
    Bernd
  • JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

HBRServer.properties has the information that EAS uses to point to the repository
    There is also a copy of this file within the planning web application, planning uses this for business rule information.

If both copies of the file are pointing to the correct repository then you shouldn't get incorrect server names when you try and associate a business rule with a planning application.

You sometimes get existing business rules pointing to other servers if the buiness rule has been exported from one environment into another without updating the xml export file.

Cheers

John
    http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
  • user166758
    Hi John,

we found the issue and you are right - the problem was the HBRServer.properties. There was update last week and the file has been copied from Test to PROD without changing the server names.

Thanks and take care,
    Bernd
  • PrakashV
    PrakashV Member Posts: 235
    edited Sep 22, 2009 10:35AM
    Hi John,

I am also facing the same problem not able to associate Business Rule to Planning and also I am not able to find HBRServer.properties in EAS, as well as in Planning. We are using Oracle EPM 11.1.1.2 version. we found HBRServer.properties file in E:\Hyperion\products\Planning\Offline\lib only. could you help on this. Is there any problem in configuration?. We created Planning application though EPMA.

Regards
    PrakashV.

Edited by: PrakashV on Sep 22, 2009 8:04 PM
This discussion has been closed.