Forum Stats

• 3,853,698 Users
  • 2,264,256 Discussions
  • 7,905,434 Comments

Discussions

Presentation Services crashes

Hi,

it happens to me pretty often (several times a day) to be working on Presentation Services, and suddenly it crashes. The browser can't establish a connection to the server. I'm not doing anything special as far as I know.

Everytime I try to restart the services, Presentation Services, BI Server and JAva host, but it doesn't work. I have to restart windows to fix the issue.

Has someone already encountered that issue ? How do I fix this ? Where should I look.

I'm a new user of OBIEE, hope the question is not too stupid.

Thanks,

Cyril
Tagged:

Answers

• SaichandVaranasi
    SaichandVaranasi Member Posts: 3,044
    hi,
    have u seen the log messages in \OracleBI\server\Log\NQServer and check the OC4j server what error is throwing when you are starting the services
  • rmoff
    rmoff Member Posts: 2,511
    edited Sep 8, 2009 6:48AM
    What version of windows, and what version of OBIEE?

Can you check c:\OracleBIData\web\log\sawlog0.log which is your presentation services log file for any errors

Do you get errors in your BI Server log, c:\OracleBI\server\Log\NQServer.log ?

Has it ever worked?

I'm a new user of OBIEE, hope the question is not too stupid.
    It's not a stupid question :) but there are quite a lot of posts on this forum about OBIEE crashing and diagnostics, so maybe take time to read them too
    704715 Member Posts: 134
    Try this one it may help you http://555obiee.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/obiee-10-1-3-4-presentation-services-crash/
    638696 Member Posts: 78
    Hi,

Thank you both for your help.

I have checked the NQServer.log, it doesn't show any activity since I starter my BI Server this morning. I suppose this log file is dedicated to the BI Server, right ?

I also had a look at the other log file under Oracle BiData/web/log

I had recent errors in that one, which I can't decrypt. Here is the error detail, in case you have already seen it:

---------------------------------------
    Type: Error
    Severity: 42
    Time: Wed Sep 09 16:20:48 2009
    File: project/webcomm/socket.cpp Line: 635
    Properties: ThreadID-4500
    saw.rpc.server.handleConnection
    saw.rpc.server.dispatch
    saw.threadPool
    saw.threads

An error occurred during execution of "recv". An unknown error occurred in the sockets library. [Socket:608]
    Type: Error
    Severity: 40
    Time: Wed Sep 09 16:20:48 2009
    File: project/webcomm/socketrpcserver.cpp Line: 544
    Properties: ThreadID-4500
    saw.rpc.server.dispatch
    saw.threadPool
    saw.threads

Exception in handler thread. Handler shutting down.

Thanks,

Cyril
    638696 Member Posts: 78
    edited Sep 9, 2009 5:05AM
    Hi,

Sorry I forgot to specify my environment.

Windows 2003 Server SP2 and OBIEE 10.1.3.4.1

@Srinivas: thanks for the link but I can't access from China... and the proxy I usually use is not accessible anymore. If I can find one soon...

Thanks,

Cyril

Edited by: Cyril ES on Sep 9, 2009 5:04 PM
  • mod100
    mod100 Member Posts: 282
    Hi,

There is a known bug in the presentation server for version 10.1.3.4.0 which fixed by patch 7140673 available through MySupport (formerly MetaLink) you would need to check with Oracle about whether this is appropriate or not for 10.1.3.4.1, might be that they fixed that particular problem in that release. We had a very similar issue to yours, our presentation server would unexpectedly crash (although we could bring it back up by restarting the service, didn't need to restart window), when we applied this patch in our 10.1.3.4.0 environment all was then OK.

Regards,

Matt
  • rmoff
    rmoff Member Posts: 2,511
    I'm pretty sure the pivot table bug (7140673) is fixed in 10.1.3.4.1.

You're right that NQServer.log is for the BI Server only.

Have you read this? http://www.rittmanmead.com/2009/05/27/troubleshooting-obiee-diagnostic-files/

Is there nothing else in the sawserver log file that suggests a problem?
    When you get the problem, is sawserver.exe shown as running in task manager?

Can you describe precisely what you mean by this "The browser can't establish a connection to the server."

What application server (OAS, OC4J, IIS) are you using?
This discussion has been closed.