Forum Stats

• 3,851,564 Users
  • 2,263,999 Discussions
  • 7,904,781 Comments

Discussions

Administration Tool Cache vs. Cursor Cache

Hi everyone,

Someone asked me what's the difference between the cache in the administration tool ( Manage->Cache) versus cursor cache (Settings -> Administrator -> Manage Sessions), and even though I've cleared them both many-a-time, I still am not sure the difference.

Can someone explain to me the difference between the two?

Thanks!

-Joe
Tagged:

Best Answer

• mod100
    mod100 Member Posts: 282
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

The cache in the administration tool is a file based cache on the OBIEE server which stores the results of database requests. This means that if a user makes a request the OBIEE server first checks the cache to see if the query has already been run and cached, or if a superset of the query has been run and cached (i.e. a less restrictive query that the current query can be satisfied from). If it finds there is a cache entry then it will return the results from here instead of issuing any SQL to the database, thereby speeding up getting the results back to the user.

The cache shown in the cusrsor cache is the cache on the presentation server, this is a cache of the content which is being returned to the user's browser, this means if the user goes back to see results for a query they have already made then the presentation server can just return the same content to them without even having to go to the OBIEE server again at all.

So basically 2 levels of caching, one on the OBIEE server and one on the presentation server.

Regards,

Matt

Answers

• mod100
    mod100 Member Posts: 282
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

The cache in the administration tool is a file based cache on the OBIEE server which stores the results of database requests. This means that if a user makes a request the OBIEE server first checks the cache to see if the query has already been run and cached, or if a superset of the query has been run and cached (i.e. a less restrictive query that the current query can be satisfied from). If it finds there is a cache entry then it will return the results from here instead of issuing any SQL to the database, thereby speeding up getting the results back to the user.

The cache shown in the cusrsor cache is the cache on the presentation server, this is a cache of the content which is being returned to the user's browser, this means if the user goes back to see results for a query they have already made then the presentation server can just return the same content to them without even having to go to the OBIEE server again at all.

So basically 2 levels of caching, one on the OBIEE server and one on the presentation server.

Regards,

Matt
    646090 Member Posts: 898
    perfect response! Thanks Matt!

-Joe
This discussion has been closed.