Forum Stats

• 3,853,690 Users
  • 2,264,255 Discussions
  • 7,905,432 Comments

Discussions

Multiple instances on single server

Hi all,

I have a Solaris 10 server with 2x dual core CPU's.
I am wondering if it was at all possible to install Business Intelligence Server on this single OS twice? And if it is, can I split the CPU between the different instances?

The reason for this is that I would like both production and test/development installed onto the same OS to cut costs. But I don't want the test/development instance to use resources that would affect the performance of the production environment.

Ideally I'd like the 2 instances, with the production instance using 3 cores, and the test/development instance using 1 core. If the RAM could also be split that'd be great.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Cheers
Tagged:

Answers

• rmoff
    rmoff Member Posts: 2,511
    edited Sep 11, 2009 3:11AM
    Yes, you can have multiple instances of Presentation Services (PS) ([see my blog posting for details|http://rnm1978.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/multiple-rpds-on-one-server-part-1-the-bi-server/]) which would let you split envs, but you'd do that with a single instance of BI server. I don't know if it's possible to run multiple BI servers

I don't think you should be trying to do this anyway, several reasons why not:
    1) It's not supported to run multiple PS on one server. That should be reason enough not to do this on prod.
    2) If it's not possible to run multiple BI Servers on one server then you'd end up running one BI Server with dev/test/prod RPDs - you'd never be able to bounce your BI Server for dev work without taking down prod
    3) Any time you needed downtime for dev, you'd affect prod
    4) Any patching you wanted to do on dev might affect prod
    5) Any experimental work you do that crashes dev would affect prod.

If you only have the one box available to you for costs reasons then you should be looking into virtualisation of some kind, eg http://www.virtualbox.org
This discussion has been closed.