This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,906 Users
  • 2,269,775 Discussions
  • 7,916,823 Comments

Discussions

OBIEE to DB2 AS400 connectivity

Hi all,
it is not clear to me how to set up the connection to a DB2 on AS400 database.

Using BI Administrator, on the Physical layer, when I use "New Database" functionality
in the "Data source definition section", there is a combo box called "Database":
which option should I choose :
- ODBC Basic (or Advanced) ?
- DB2 AS/400 ?
in this case, when I go to the Connection pool definition,
in the "Call Interface" combo box, which option should I choose:
ODBC (2.5, 3.5) ? or DB2 CLI (Unicode) ?
and which values should I enter in the below fields ? (Data Source Name, User Name, Password)

- should a specific ODBC driver be installed ?
- or should I use one of the Odbc drivers that are installed during OBIEE installation (e.g. MERANT OEM 5.2 32-BIT DB2 Wire Protocol ) ?

Thanks a lot
Silvio
Tagged:

Answers

• rmoff
    rmoff UKMember Posts: 2,511
    Hi all,
    it is not clear to me how to set up the connection to a DB2 on AS400 database.
    First off, have you read the installation docs?
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E10415_01/doc/nav/portal_booklist.htm
    Using BI Administrator, on the Physical layer, when I use "New Database" functionality
    in the "Data source definition section", there is a combo box called "Database":
    which option should I choose :
    - ODBC Basic (or Advanced) ?
    - DB2 AS/400 ?
    This should be the database you're using. What you set here defines what DB-specific functionality OBIEE will use. If you put something incorrect or generic you'll get at best worse performance and at worst errors as OBIEE asks your DB to do something it doesn't support.
    in this case, when I go to the Connection pool definition,
    in the "Call Interface" combo box, which option should I choose:
    ODBC (2.5, 3.5) ? or DB2 CLI (Unicode) ?
    I would have thought native DB2 CLI would be more suitable
    and which values should I enter in the below fields ? (Data Source Name, User Name, Password)
    Erm. The datasource name, and your username and password for the tables you're getting data from?
This discussion has been closed.