This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 31st, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,764 Users
  • 2,269,776 Discussions
  • 7,916,827 Comments

Discussions

Multiple presentation services

Hello Gurus,

Can I run multiple saw services and single bi services on single machine?

I'd like to have single webcat and single RPD served by this configuration.

Here is what I have in my mind.

1. Change the port number of web.xml from 9710 to 9711 and Create jar out of OracleBI/web/app as described in presentaion services doc
2. deploy this jar under analytics1 (any other name)
3. create another copy of instanceconfig.xml and same it as instanceconfig1.xml with "Listener port = 9711"
4. make the changes to odbc.ini if reqd, is it required in this case?
5. run sa ans saw server

I need advanced opinion and ideas about how to do this.

One of my friend implemented http://rnm1978.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/multiple-rpds-on-one-server-part-2-presentation-services/ along with part 1 of the same series, but mentioned this doesn't work and he gets 500 error

the error is described in more details here http://rnm1978.blogspot.com/2009/03/sawserver-wont-start-analytics-servlet.html, and on various blogs i searched i couldn't get clear answer as to what would resolve this error... :(

any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Tagged:

Best Answer

• rmoff
    rmoff UKMember Posts: 2,511
    Answer ✓
    The reason you're getting that error is you're starting sawserver up incorrectly for a custom config file.
    You're invoking sawserver.sh which is a script that in turns invokes the sawserver binary and does not pass on the parameter for your custom config file.

To start sawserver with a custom configuration you need to invoke the binary directly, thus:
    # change to OracleBI/setup directory
    . ./sa-init.sh
    sawserver -c /data/web/config/instanceconfigPaint.xml

Note that sa-init.sh is dot-sourced, i.e. dot space dot slash

To quote lines put a greater than sign > in front of the line
    like this

Answers

• rmoff
    Can I run multiple saw services and single bi services on single machine?
    Yes :)
    I'd like to have single webcat and single RPD served by this configuration.
    If you want one webcat why do you want multiple saw services?
    I need advanced opinion and ideas about how to do this.
    What "advanced opinion" or "ideas" would you like? It's easier if you let us know what problems or specific questions you have, and we can try and help.
    One of my friend implemented http://rnm1978.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/multiple-rpds-on-one-server-part-2-presentation-services/ along with part 1 of the same series, but mentioned this doesn't work and he gets 500 error
    With respect, it does work, just maybe not in the way your friend did it. There are several comprehensive guides to running multiple sawservers, mine is just one, but they all follow the same process.

500 Internal Server error is a generic error and can mean a lot of things. Is your question here related to that, or just mentioning it as reason not to try it yourself? If you want to try and solve the 500 Internal Server error can you post details of your configuration and the log file from your application server.
    596903 Member Posts: 44
    Hey RNM,

Nice to see the boss reply, almost every search on multiple presentation points to your blog :)

1. I need single webcat, since I dont want to maintain multiple copies. I (customer) need multiple UI customization hence the reason for multiple presentation services.

2. "Advanced" is a typo and it should have been "Gurus opinions in advance" :), don't take it in any other sence.
    a. "Opinion in advance" : to understand if this is possible or not, i.e. am i talking sence at all
    b. idea: What other things are possible, if I have to acheive
    i. two context under oc4j,
    ii. two saw servers running with insta..config1.xml and insta..config2.xml and pointing to same webcat
    iii. single sa server running serving single rpd
    Note: I need to make modification to instanceconfig.xml too in terms of language and port etc. along with minor modification is res folders under oc4j_bin/j2ee/home/applications/X/X/X/res folder

3. mine is just one, but they all follow the same process
    a. but the most comprehensive/admired and is on the top of google search
    b. they all follow the same process, hence chances that i also ending up in same error are more

Hence wanted your (and other gurus) opinion about am I thinking correctly, and is it possible before starting on to this.

Sure I'll try this week, since you got me initiated...

Humble in some corner of this vast world
    726253 Member Posts: 30
    edited Oct 9, 2009 4:47PM
    Hello All,

Here is what I did,

1. Created separate jar file using "jar -cf analytics.war -C app ." command, after changing the web.xml port from 9710 to 9711, the lines look as follows:
    <init-param>
    <param-name>oracle.bi.presentation.sawserver.Port</param-name>
    <param-value>9710</param-value>
    </init-param>
    2. Deployed the jar in oc4j
    3. Changed the NQSConfig.INI to include following lines
    SampleSales = samplesales.rpd;
    Paint = paint.rpd;
    4. Changed the odbc.ini unders BI/setup to

[AnalyticsWebPaint]
    Driver=/usr/local/OracleBI/server/Bin/libnqsodbc.so
    Description=Oracle BI Server
    ServerMachine=local
    Catalog=
    UID=
    PWD=
    Port=9703

[AnalyticsWebSampleSales]
    ServerMachine=local
    Repository=SampleSales
    Catalog=
    UID=
    PWD=
    Port=9703

5. Modified the instanceconfig.xml to
    <Listener port="9711"/>
    <DSN>AnalyticsWebPaint</DSN>
    <CatalogPath>/usr/local/OracleBIData/web/catalog/paint</CatalogPath>
    6. Started oc4j using oc4j -start
    7. Started sa server using run-sa.sh start
    8. Started 1st instance of saw server using run-saw.sh start
    9. Started 2nd instance of saw server using
    . ./common.sh
    . ./sa-init.sh
    ./sawserver.sh -c [path]/instanceconfigPaint.sh

What I observe is: in step 10 sawserver comes out with following error:
    [[email protected] setup]$ ./sawserver.sh -c /usr/local/OracleBIData/web/config/instanceconfigPaint.xml
    Type: Information
    Severity: 30
    Time: Tue Oct 6 11:40:47 2009
    File: project/sawserver/sawserver.cpp Line: 386
    Properties: ThreadID-3086915280

Oracle BI Presentation Services 10.1.3.4.1 (Build 090414.1900) are starting up.
    ---------------------------------------
    Type: Warning
    Severity: 40
    Time: Tue Oct 6 11:40:48 2009
    File: project/webcomm/socketrpcserver.cpp Line: 323
    saw.sawserver

Port 9710 was reported as currently in use by the system. The configured listene .
    Type: Error
    Severity: 20
    Time: Tue Oct 6 11:40:49 2009
    File: project/sawserver/main.cpp Line: 338

Port 9710 is in use on the local system. [Socket:12]

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    Please note following configuration is under Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.4 and Oracle Business Intelligence 10.1.3.4.1

Thanks in advance

Edited by: user6718192 on Oct 6, 2009 12:40 PM

Edited by: user6718192 on Oct 9, 2009 1:35 PM
  • rmoff
    obiee1234 wrote:

1. I need single webcat, since I dont want to maintain multiple copies. I (customer) need multiple UI customization hence the reason for multiple presentation services.
    Ah ok, that makes sense. However I don't know if multiple sawservers reading the same webcat would work, or if it would work, would not cause problems. What happens if two users on separate sawserver instances go in on the same webcat item at the same time and try to save different versions of it? It's deviated even further from the supported path!
    b. idea: What other things are possible, if I have to acheive
    i. two context under oc4j,
    Don't know, sorry
    ii. two saw servers running with insta..config1.xml and insta..config2.xml and pointing to same webcat
    Yes, although see my comment above re. sharing the web cat.
    iii. single sa server running serving single rpd
    Yes, that's no different from a standard deployment is it?
    Note: I need to make modification to instanceconfig.xml too in terms of language and port etc. along with minor modification is res folders under oc4j_bin/j2ee/home/applications/X/X/X/res folder
    Yes, should be fine changing the res folder because there's one for each deployment of analytics
    And yes, you have to have one instanceconfig.xml for each instance so can make further changes to each as necessary

Good luck :) and let us know how you get on with it
  • rmoff
    user6718192 wrote:
    Port 9710 was reported as currently in use by the system. The configured listene .
    Port 9710 is in use on the local system. [Socket:12]
    If you're getting that error then the instanceconfig.xml file is either wrong, or not being picked up correctly.

Be aware that sawserver won't necessarily throw an error if there's an error in the file, it might just use defaults.

Can you post your complete instanceconfigPaint.xml file here?
    instanceconfig.xml
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <WebConfig>
    <ServerInstance>
    <DSN>AnalyticsWebSampleSales</DSN>
    <CatalogPath>/usr/local/OracleBIData/web/catalog/samplesales</CatalogPath>
    <Alerts>
    <ScheduleServer>localhost.localdomain</ScheduleServer>
    </Alerts>
    <AdvancedReporting>
    <ReportingEngine>XmlP</ReportingEngine>
    <Volume>XmlP</Volume>
    <ServerURL>http://localhost.localdomain:9704/xmlpserver/services/XMLPService</ServerURL>
    <WebURL>http://localhost.localdomain:9704/xmlpserver</WebURL>
    <AdminURL>http://localhost.localdomain:9704/xmlpserver/servlet/admin</AdminURL>
    <AdminCredentialAlias>bipublisheradmin</AdminCredentialAlias>
    </AdvancedReporting>
    <JavaHome>/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_21</JavaHome>
    <BIforOfficeURL>client/OracleBIOffice.exe</BIforOfficeURL>
    <!-- To configure a limited set of languages to be available to users uncomment the <AllowedLanguages> tag below and choose a subset set of language tags from the list. Values must be comma separated. -->
    <!-- <AllowedLanguages>ar,cs,da,de,el,en,es,fi,fr,hr,hu,it,iw,ja,ko,nl,no,pl,pt,pt-br,ro,ru,sk,sv,th,tr,zh,zh-tw</AllowedLanguages> -->
    <!-- To configure a limited set of locales to be available to users uncomment the <AllowedLocales> tag below and choose a subset set of locale tags from the list. Values must be comma separated. -->
    <!-- <AllowedLocales>ar-dz,ar-bh,ar-dj,ar-eg,ar-iq,ar-jo,ar-kw,ar-lb,ar-ly,ar-ma,ar-om,ar-qa,ar-sa,ar-so,ar-sd,ar-sy,ar-tn,ar-ae,ar-ye,cs-cz,da-dk,de-at,de-ch,de-de,de-li,de-lu,el-gr,en-au,en-ca,en-cb,en-gb,en-hk,en-ie,en-in,en-jm,en-nz,en-ph,en-us,en-za,en-zw,es-ar,es-bo,es-cl,es-co,es-cr,es-do,es-ec,es-es,es-gt,es-hn,es-mx,es-ni,es-pa,es-pe,es-pr,es-py,es-sv,es-uy,es-ve,fi-fi,fr-be,fr-ca,fr-ch,fr-fr,fr-lu,fr-mc,hr-hr,hu-hu,id-id,it-ch,it-it,iw-il,ja-jp,ko-kr,ms-my,nl-be,nl-nl,no-no,pl-pl,pt-br,pt-pt,ro-ro,ru-ru,sk-sk,sv-fi,sv-se,th-th,tr-tr,zh-cn,zh-mo,zh-sg,zh-tw</AllowedLocales> -->
    <!-- <Disconnected><ArchiveIbots>true</ArchiveIbots><DisconnectedDir>disconnected</DisconnectedDir></Disconnected> -->
    </ServerInstance>
    </WebConfig>

instanceconfigPaint.xml
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <WebConfig>
    <ServerInstance>
    <Listener port="9711"/>
    <Alerts>
    <ScheduleServer>localhost.localdomain</ScheduleServer>
    </Alerts>
    <AdvancedReporting>
    <ReportingEngine>XmlP</ReportingEngine>
    <Volume>XmlP</Volume>
    <ServerURL>http://localhost.localdomain:9704/xmlpserver/services/XMLPService</ServerURL>
    <WebURL>http://localhost.localdomain:9704/xmlpserver</WebURL>
    <AdminURL>http://localhost.localdomain:9704/xmlpserver/servlet/admin</AdminURL>
    <AdminCredentialAlias>bipublisheradmin</AdminCredentialAlias>
    </AdvancedReporting>
    <JavaHome>/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_21</JavaHome>
    <BIforOfficeURL>client/OracleBIOffice.exe</BIforOfficeURL>
    <!-- To configure a limited set of languages to be available to users uncomment the <AllowedLanguages> tag below and choose a subset set of language tags from the list. Values must be comma separated. -->
    <!-- <AllowedLanguages>ar,cs,da,de,el,en,es,fi,fr,hr,hu,it,iw,ja,ko,nl,no,pl,pt,pt-br,ro,ru,sk,sv,th,tr,zh,zh-tw</AllowedLanguages> -->
    <!-- To configure a limited set of locales to be available to users uncomment the <AllowedLocales> tag below and choose a subset set of locale tags from the list. Values must be comma separated. -->
    <!-- <AllowedLocales>ar-dz,ar-bh,ar-dj,ar-eg,ar-iq,ar-jo,ar-kw,ar-lb,ar-ly,ar-ma,ar-om,ar-qa,ar-sa,ar-so,ar-sd,ar-sy,ar-tn,ar-ae,ar-ye,cs-cz,da-dk,de-at,de-ch,de-de,de-li,de-lu,el-gr,en-au,en-ca,en-cb,en-gb,en-hk,en-ie,en-in,en-jm,en-nz,en-ph,en-us,en-za,en-zw,es-ar,es-bo,es-cl,es-co,es-cr,es-do,es-ec,es-es,es-gt,es-hn,es-mx,es-ni,es-pa,es-pe,es-pr,es-py,es-sv,es-uy,es-ve,fi-fi,fr-be,fr-ca,fr-ch,fr-fr,fr-lu,fr-mc,hr-hr,hu-hu,id-id,it-ch,it-it,iw-il,ja-jp,ko-kr,ms-my,nl-be,nl-nl,no-no,pl-pl,pt-br,pt-pt,ro-ro,ru-ru,sk-sk,sv-fi,sv-se,th-th,tr-tr,zh-cn,zh-mo,zh-sg,zh-tw</AllowedLocales> -->
    <!-- <Disconnected><ArchiveIbots>true</ArchiveIbots><DisconnectedDir>disconnected</DisconnectedDir></Disconnected> -->
    </ServerInstance>
    </WebConfig>

RNM, your concern is valid, but we are planning to allow only one port for modification of report.

btw: How do you reply to my lines?
  • rmoff
    Answer ✓
    The reason you're getting that error is you're starting sawserver up incorrectly for a custom config file.
    You're invoking sawserver.sh which is a script that in turns invokes the sawserver binary and does not pass on the parameter for your custom config file.

To start sawserver with a custom configuration you need to invoke the binary directly, thus:
    # change to OracleBI/setup directory
    . ./sa-init.sh
    sawserver -c /data/web/config/instanceconfigPaint.xml

Note that sa-init.sh is dot-sourced, i.e. dot space dot slash

To quote lines put a greater than sign > in front of the line
    like this
    edited Oct 9, 2009 4:51PM
    Perfect it is working now...

Let me go ahead and see if I can get it working for single rpd and webcat ;)

RNM: it looks like I can't give you points since this site is not allowing me too, once I see that button enabled, I'll go and put this prblm as solved.

Edited by: user6718192 on Oct 9, 2009 1:50 PM
  • rmoff
    Glad it's fixed.

To allocate points you need to be logged in as the user who posted the question, obiee1234. You're currently posting as user6718192
    727390 Member Posts: 7
    hi obiee

Here is what I did,

1. Created separate jar file using "jar -cf analytics.war -C app ." command, after changing the web.xml port from 9710 to 9711, the lines look as follows:
    <init-param>
    <param-name>oracle.bi.presentation.sawserver.Port</param-name>
    <param-value>9710</param-value>
    </init-param>
    2. Deployed the jar in oc4j
    3. Changed the NQSConfig.INI to include following lines
    SampleSales = samplesales.rpd;
    Paint = paint.rpd;
    4. Changed the odbc.ini unders BI/setup to

AnalyticsWebPaint
    ServerMachine=local
    Catalog=
    UID=
    PWD=
    Port=9703

AnalyticsWebSampleSales
    ServerMachine=local
    Repository=SampleSales
    Catalog=
    UID=
    PWD=
    Port=9703

5. Modified the instanceconfig.xml to
    <Listener port="9711"/>
    6. Started oc4j using oc4j -start
    7. Started sa server using run-sa.sh start
    8. Started 1st instance of saw server using run-saw.sh start
    9. Started 2nd instance of saw server using
    . ./common.sh
    . ./sa-init.sh
    ./sawserver.sh -c path/instanceconfigPaint.sh

and got the problm partialy solved am right now working on this, well i got the idea from here www.learn-Oracle-OLAP.com.
This discussion has been closed.