apps-infra

Forum Stats

• 3,874,062 Users
  • 2,266,667 Discussions
  • 7,911,709 Comments

Discussions

Configuring IIS and OAS (using the proxy plug-in) For OBIEE

Hi Experts:

Has anyone deployed OBIEE on IIS and used the Oracle provided OAS proxy plug-in to forward requests to Oracle Application Server (OAS)?

We need to know the sequence in which to do the various steps.
1. We have installed both IIS (v. 6) and OAS as Advanced (latest pathch) on Windows 2003 Server.
2. When we install OBIEE, we are choosing Advanced Installation Type.
3. In the Application Server Selection Screen, do we choose IIS? (not sure about this)
4. We will need to disable the OAS http Server in the console. (not yet sure of the steps to do this.)

FYI... Here are the steps from Oracle to integrate IIS and OAS, but it doesn't talk about OBIEE in the mix.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B31017_01/web.1013/b28948/proxy.htm#i644050

Would appreciate your help.

Answers

• rmoff
    rmoff Member Posts: 2,511
    Can you explain exactly what you're trying to do -- and why.
    IIS and OAS are both Web and Application servers, so I don't understand why you're wanting to use both. I assume there's a good reason :)

Generally you only need IIS or OAS, both of which will can host the analytics Presentation Services plug-in.

The Presentation Services plug-in then communicates with the sawserver Presentation Services process on your OBIEE server. sawserver is an independent process and does not need OAS per se.
    702906 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the reply.

We need to do this because OAS is needed as a J2EE server for BI Publisher and we need IIS to for our SSO application. (The SSO does not work with our OAS without heavry customizations which we don't want to risk).
  • rmoff
    From a point of view of OBIEE, why can't you deploy it all on IIS? Publisher and OBIEE don't have to be on the same app server so far as I'm aware.
    rmoff
    702906 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks. So, if I have IIS for BI Pres Svcs and the BI Server is installed on OAS, I can point BIP to the OAS on BI Server?
  • rmoff
    if I have IIS for BI Pres Svcs and the BI Server is installed on OAS
    No -- you have the Presentation Services plugin installed on IIS OR OAS -- and that's all from an OBIEE point of view.
    BI Server is a standalone binary (nqsserver) which runs outside of any application server.
    I can point BIP to the OAS on BI Server?
    You would install BIP on OAS. However - I don't know how the security integration would work, or if it would. Sorry.
    Maybe someone else here will be able to help, or you could try the BI Publisher forum?
    rmoff
This discussion has been closed.
apps-infra