Forum Stats

• 3,855,570 Users
  • 2,264,523 Discussions
  • 7,906,069 Comments

Discussions

License for Table compression

557198 Member Posts: 44
edited Sep 26, 2010 10:47PM in Advanced Compression
License is required in Oracle 11g for advanced compression.
For oracle 10g table compression, is the license required?

Answers

• Srini Chavali-Oracle
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Member Posts: 29,596 Employee
    The COMPRESS option on tables (and other objects like INDEXes) was introduced in version 9.2. I do not believe it requires any special licensing, but I believe it is only available on the Enterprise Edition of the database.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/statements_73a.htm#2128735

HTH
    Srini
    516450 Member Posts: 1,358
    According to http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/technology-price-list.pdf, Advanced Compression is an extra cost option of EE.
  • damorgan
    damorgan Member Posts: 14,464 Bronze Crown
    Some compression is free and included in your base license. Other compression options require the Advance Compression license. Still others require an Exadata V2 machine.

Be specific about the feature and syntax of interest.
  • Srini Chavali-Oracle
    AFAIK, Advanced Compression is only available in 11g and above and is a priced option. OP was enquiring about table compression, which is a feature available in 10g per my link posted above.

HTH
    Srini
    557198 Member Posts: 44
    edited Oct 24, 2009 1:17PM
    Shall I conclude that, in 10g I don't need to purchase license for compression.
    In 11g, table compression is part of advanced compression which includes backup compression and others. If I want to use table compression in 11g I need to purchase license for that(Advanced compression)...
    Thanks and regards

Edited by: fahmed on Oct 24, 2009 11:16 PM

Edited by: fahmed on Oct 24, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Srini Chavali-Oracle
    That is my understanding - it is best to confirm with your Oracle salesperson.

HTH
    Srini
  • damorgan
    Or review Oracle's published docs:
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/editions.htm#BABJICBB
  • GeertDePaep
    GeertDePaep Member Posts: 21 Blue Ribbon
    The licensing guide of Oracle 11.1 makes a distinction between:
    Oracle Advanced Compression --> extra cost option on top of EE
    Direct-Load Table Compression --> No extra cost option, but requires EE

The admin guide says:

To enable compression for all operations you must use the COMPRESS FOR ALL OPERATIONS clause. To enable compression for direct-path inserts only, you use the COMPRESS FOR DIRECT_LOAD OPERATIONS clause. The keyword COMPRESS by itself is the same as the clause COMPRESS FOR DIRECT_LOAD OPERATIONS, and invokes the same compression behavior as previous database releases.

So if you stick to the old way of compressing data (direct load), it is less efficient than the new way (all operations), but it does not require the extra license.

Geert De Paep
  • damorgan
    But it also means you can not leverage compression for Data Guard, compression for DataPump and compression for RMAN ... all included in the license.
  • John Thomas
    John Thomas Member Posts: 16
    Sounds like we could add partition compression in 10g with no additional licence. Then upgrade to 11g and face my employer with a US$200,000 plus additional licence bill.

A few years ago "Larry" made a big play of "Oracle includes everything at no additional cost". These increasingly fine-grained extra cost options are getting increasingly painful.

Wouldn't be surprising if cost-conscious companies start to ditch Oracle, would it?
This discussion has been closed.