Forum Stats

• 3,874,599 Users
  • 2,266,752 Discussions
  • 7,911,910 Comments

Discussions

Error message downloading OBIEE Report to Excel "is in a different format"

Dear experts:

We just upgraded to 10.1.3.4.1 in our Dev environment and are seeing a pecuiliar behavior when we try to download a report to either "Excel" or "Excel 2000".

After selecting Excel (or Excel 200) from the Download Link, we get the following message that pops up:

The file you are trying to open 'Period Summary.xls' is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify the file is not corrupted and is from trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?

We are then given the choice of Yes, No, or Help

When I click Yes, the File does open, but why this message? I can see the users complaining about this message.

Answers

702906 Member Posts: 17
    I found the link to MSDN site which states that this is a "known problem" and MS will provide a fix at a future date.

http://blogs.msdn.com/vsofficedeveloper/pages/Excel-2007-Extension-Warning.aspx

Also, the following metalink documents address this: 780817.1, 759410.1

This is the expected behavior due to security restrictions implemented in MS Office 2007

Solution
    The following is the workaround for this issue:

Client desktops can change the default behavior of the security check using a registry key. The following registry key can be set to alter the behavior of the Excel 2007 client in the following ways:

Disclaimer from Microsoft: WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
    Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security
    Value: (DWORD)"ExtensionHardening" = [0 = Disable check; 1 = Enable check and prompt; 2 = Enable check, no prompt deny open]

I have searched through OBIEE Oracle docs, but didn't find any mention of this issue.

Has anyone seen any OBIEE workaround for this?
This discussion has been closed.