Forum Stats

• 3,836,860 Users
  • 2,262,198 Discussions
  • 7,900,128 Comments

Discussions

Need help doing a reverse of a file on a different server

730738 Member Posts: 19
edited Nov 6, 2009 11:54AM in Data Integrator
Hi - I'm trying to a reverse on a file that is on a different machine than my personal pc.

My steps:
1) created physical arch and test was successful to server.
2) log arch and context defined
3) in designer, created a model (as file).

Two questions:
1) What is the best way to reverse? Create a data store under the file model and do the column reverse?

2) My current issue is: When I do a column reverse, it says "The directory $ETL_DROP/sourcefiles specified does not exist" ... but it does.
- $ETL_DROP is an environment var on linux to point to this directory and "sourcefiles" is the subdirectory where source files are stored.
- Also, in the Definition tab, when I click on browse, it gives the same error but then opens up a browse window of my local pc... weird...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dan
Tagged:

Answers

566902 Member Posts: 809
    In order to do a reverse of a file, it has to be on the same server as your designer process. ODI can't follow environment variables in file names.
  • Sutirtha  Roy
    Sutirtha Roy Member Posts: 2,651
    Hi ,

To reverse engineer a file (including csv or Excel files) using the File Technology, the file has to be local to ODI Designer.

1. If your files are on a remote File System, you will need to copy one of your files to the machine ODI Designer is running on to allow ODI to retrieve the metadata information of the file.
    2. In Topology create a Physical Schema, the directory you enter for Data and Work Schema should point at this local file.
    3. Then define the File Datastore in ODI Designer. Enter a name, browse and select the file and fill in each filed of the Files tab.

* If its a Fixed file, click on the grid icon on the Columns tab to enter the columns and have Automatic Adjustment checked.
    * If its a Delimited file, use the Reverse button on the Columns tab to reverse the columns.
    * Right click on the File Datastore select View Data, if you can view data, that means the File Datastore has been defined correctly.
    * If not, check each tab of the File Datastore to make sure everything is defined correctly and retry.

4. Once View Data is successful, you may now change the directories (Data and Work Schema in Topology) to point at the remote File System. These directories must be accessible to the ODI Agent that will be used to run the transformations. The directory can be an absolute path (m:/public/data/files) or relative to the ODI Agent startup directory (../demo/files). It is strongly advised to use a UNC (independent from the execution location) for the path. When running the transformations with "no agent", the directory is relative to the directory where Oracle Data Integrator has been installed.

Thanks,
    Sutirtha
    Sutirtha  Roy
    Sutirtha - I had created the agent on the DEV box with user "etl". This user can access the environment variable $ETL_DROP when I am logged in to the DEV box (through PuTTY). When I execute the interface, though, it is giving me an error: File Not Found: $ETL_DROP/sourcefiles/Myfile.csv

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Sutirtha - Also, I changed the physical arch to point to ../demo/file instead of $ETL_DROP/sourcefiles and received the same error. Not sure what else to try... thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Sutirtha  Roy
    Hi Dan,

Where are your source files located ? Did you copy it to the system where ODI designer is running ?

Thanks,
    Sutirtha
    Sutirtha - My source files were reversed from my local pc using a phys arch that points local. I then copied the data store from that file model to my other file model that has the path pointing at the DEV box (linux) where they will need to be run from (path is local to the DEV agent on DEV box using an env var $ODI_DROP/sourcefiles). There is an agent on the DEV box and it was up and running. ODI is installed on the DEV box as well but I have never used the Designer on it because it is remote. I use the Designer I have locally installed. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!
    Dan
  • Sutirtha  Roy
    Hi Dan,

So I assume that you can successfully reverse engineer the file data store (local machine) and see data from your designer .

Now you need to change the Physical & Logical schema and these should point to the actual files stored in your DEV box .
    Also make sure that you are specifying IP address in the host name field , I got some error when I tried with Host Name .

Thanks,
    Sutirtha
    Sutirtha - I have tried with both IP and host name. Same error "file not found". Are there any permission issues I should know of? I used linux user "etl" to create the agent on the DEV box. I also use "etl" as the user in physical arch. What else could cause this?

Thanks,
    Dan
This discussion has been closed.