Forum Stats

• 3,874,322 Users
  • 2,266,718 Discussions
  • 7,911,812 Comments

Discussions

Financial Reporting Studio Connect to HFM?

Rodney P
Rodney P Member Posts: 52
edited Jul 4, 2014 4:11AM in Financial Consolidation

I am currently trying to connect to HFM via Financial Reporting Studio, and I am unsure of what information is needed for input so that I can establish a connection. I am currently on version 11.1.2.2 for both HFM and Reporting studio. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Answers

• Thanos A
    Thanos A Consolidation System Manager Member Posts: 1,443 Silver Trophy

Hi there,

Are you in the logon screen of FR studio?

Regards,

Thanos

• Rodney P

I am able to log into FR studio without any issues but I follow by attempting to insert a grid, and when the select database connection screen pops up it automatically defaults to our Essbase databases. I click on the New Database Connection button and select Financial Management for the type but I am not understanding what to enter in the rest of the fields. Since HFM has a SQL database back end, does this mean that FR studio needs to connect to the SQL server?

• Thanos A
    Thanos A Consolidation System Manager Member Posts: 1,443 Silver Trophy

Hi Rodney,

DB Connection Name: Any name that you would like to call the specific connection

Type: Financial Management

Server: HFM Instance or HFM app server (depends on your installation)

UserID/Password

Application: If you add correct UserID and password click and it will be selected

Regards,

Thanos

• Rodney P

Do I need to incorporate a port number or something for the server? I keep trying to search for applications but it hangs up for about 5 minutes and then no available applications are shown.

• amith.madisetty
    amith.madisetty Member Posts: 869 Gold Badge
    edited Jul 2, 2014 9:48AM

Hi Rodney,

Is your HFM Database up & running ? Could you try pinging from your FR Studio installed server to Database Server ? and tnsping to HFM database.?

Thanks

Amith

• Rodney P

The FR studio is installed as a client on one of our client PCs. Yes, our HFM database is running and its a SQL database, which is up and running, I believe tnsping is only applicable to oracle databases.

• amith.madisetty
    amith.madisetty Member Posts: 869 Gold Badge

Ah.., Yes i mistook it to Oracle DB.

Were you able to connect to HFM database user through your client PC ?

Thanks

Amith

• JDN
    JDN Member Posts: 219

I'm not sure if this is the same in 11.1.2.2 but in 11.1.2.1 we are able to manage the connections from the workspace.  Have you tried creating a new connection from the workspace side to see if that might work?

Go to Explore - Tools - Database Connection Manager.  Click on New, give it a name and go from there.  Also, make sure you are using the application server in the server box field.

Thanks,

Jason

• kkwok
    kkwok Member Posts: 154 Blue Ribbon

I also worked with 11.1.2.1,

Try what JDN suggest there to create the database conneciton. the "database" in question, we are talking about the HFM server name, you do not have to input any ports there, but be sure that the port is opened from your HFM server to your foundation server if they are on different servers, it's port 135 and a port range for DCOM connection which i don't remember exactly...

Hope this helps.

• Rodney P

Thanks everyone for the replies; 11.1.2.2 doesnt seem to be the same but I will look into managing data sources within workspace for 11.1.2.2 and get back with everyone. Stay tuned.

This discussion has been closed.