• 3,815,486 Users
  • 2,259,038 Discussions
  • 7,893,134 Comments

Discussions

Integration possibilities with ESSBASE

JanGLi
JanGLi Member Posts: 649 Bronze Badge

Hi,

I want to create reports using essbase but my data is in dataware house.

How can i take data from datawarehouse and store it in essbase? which tools i need? which approaches should i use?

Can anyone guide me in the right direction,

Regards

rpc1

Best Answer

• Gianni Ceresa
    Gianni Ceresa Managing Director | Oracle ACE Director Member Posts: 6,536 Blue Diamond
    edited Aug 27, 2015 4:05PM Answer ✓

Hi,

You can load data in Essbase via ETL/ELT, flat files, SQL, custom written code using Essbase API (java for example).

I'm just curious: why do you want to create a report using Essbase as it looks like you doesn't often use Essbase? Any real need that Essbase can do and your DB can't?

Essbase is a completely different way of doing things, so it's not just about loading data inside (ASO vs BSO vs hybrid, formulas, calc script, MDX instead of SQL ...).

rpc1

Answers

• Gianni Ceresa
    Gianni Ceresa Managing Director | Oracle ACE Director Member Posts: 6,536 Blue Diamond
    edited Aug 27, 2015 4:05PM Answer ✓

Hi,

You can load data in Essbase via ETL/ELT, flat files, SQL, custom written code using Essbase API (java for example).

I'm just curious: why do you want to create a report using Essbase as it looks like you doesn't often use Essbase? Any real need that Essbase can do and your DB can't?

Essbase is a completely different way of doing things, so it's not just about loading data inside (ASO vs BSO vs hybrid, formulas, calc script, MDX instead of SQL ...).

rpc1
  • Alvaro Soares
    Alvaro Soares Member Posts: 344
    edited Aug 27, 2015 3:58PM

Hi,

Try to look into this tutorial

https://blogs.oracle.com/proactivesupportEPM/entry/otn_obiee_essbase_integrate

I hope it help you

Thanks

JanGLi
  • JanGLi
    edited Aug 28, 2015 4:02AM

Thanks for help.

OBIEE is implemented. I have been told that what if analysis and slicing and dicing is not available in OBIEE; for that essbase is available. So i have to move some data from obiee dataware house into essbase. (i hope i answered you curiosity

Plus ETL/ELT ( by this you mean some specific tools for this purpose right? can you mention those tools?)

Regards

• Gianni Ceresa
    edited Aug 28, 2015 6:35AM

Ok, basic what-if can be achieved in OBIEE itself but it's true that Essbase can do complex what-if scenarios.

By ETL/ELT I mean almost any (serious) tool, ODI can do it, I'm almost sure Informatica can as well. All you need to check is if the current ETL/ELT you have in place support Essbase or if you need to maybe add a connector or something like that.

If your tool doesn't support it maybe the easiest solution is to generate flat files with your tool and load these files in Essbase (can be automated by script as well).

Just keep in mind that the complexity of the load can be impacted by the design of the outline.

JanGLi
  • JanGLi
    edited Aug 28, 2015 6:57AM

Thanks for comprenshive reply.

I forget to ask about SQL? by SQL you mean sql being used in ETL or in some other way?

Regards

• Gianni Ceresa
    edited Aug 28, 2015 7:10AM

In Essbase, when you create a load rule you can source data from a file or connect to a DB (not sure of what DB is supported, for sure Oracle and I guess SQL Server as well) to get the data.

The SQL just provide the data but you still need a load rule in Essbase to do something with it.

JanGLi
  • JanGLi
    edited Sep 1, 2015 2:21AM

What part does essbase integration services plays?

Regards

• Gianni Ceresa
    edited Sep 1, 2015 3:29AM

Can't remember a lot about that, but I guess it can be similar to Essbase Studio: modelling and loading a cube.

• JanGLi
    edited Sep 1, 2015 6:01AM

Thanks for your help.

Regards

This discussion has been closed.