• 3,875,549 Users
  • 2,266,945 Discussions
  • 7,912,246 Comments

Discussions

Configure Oracle EM to Send Emails

mtagb09
mtagb09 Member Posts: 2
edited May 16, 2016 8:35PM in Enterprise Manager

We are using Oracle 11gr2 installed on Linux. Tried to use Enterprise Manager to send email alerts in case of tablespace is near to full. Alerts are generated on EM but no emails are received when alerts are generated. Test email are generated and received.

Any idea what could be the issue?

Is there any logs generated while the emails are generated from EM or logs in case of failure? If yes, then were can I find these logs.

Tagged:

Answers

• DBAKevlar-Oracle
    DBAKevlar-Oracle Member Posts: 102
    edited May 15, 2016 8:33PM

The best way to troubleshoot this is to go to the incident manager, (Enterprise, Monitoring, Incident Manager.)  If you are using the default rule sets, then an incident was generated for the tablespace, (I'm assuming the thresholds and such were set for this metric.)  Locate the incident that was generated for the tablespace full and click on it-  this will display the "tabs" for the incident in the lower half of the screen.  Click on the tab for "Notifications".  This will tell you IF a notification was generated, (email, page, etc) and to who. 

That is your first step.

I'm already guessing that if you are receiving the test emails, but not the incident notification, then you have an issue in your rule set, but I want to verify that there isn't anything else going on.

If the table for notifications is blank in the incident, then you need to click on Settings, Rules, then rule sets.  The System generated rule sets that come with the EM installation aren't modifiable and you really should "create like" copies of them and disable the originals, keeping them as templates.

Using the newly copied versions, you can go in and edit them and I bet you need to go in and add the email notifications for critical (and warnings if you wish to be notified of those, too...)

If you need more detailed info, feel free to see my multi-part blog posts on EM12c monitoring.  I think if you start on part IV, you'll get the step by step you need to help you out with the incident manager, but feel free to read the others parts of this blog post, as it should help you out immensely with all the puzzle pieces you're dealing with:  http://dbakevlar.com/2013/09/em12c-enterprise-monitoring-part-iv/

Good luck,

Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman

Consulting Member of Technical Staff, SCP at Oracle

mtagb09
  • mtagb09
    mtagb09 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 16, 2016 2:46PM

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed answer. When emails are sent from EM for any alerts/notifications, is it available in any log file? And similarly in case of email failure, even though the alerts are generated, is the errors available in any log file?

• DBAKevlar-Oracle
    DBAKevlar-Oracle Member Posts: 102
    edited May 16, 2016 5:11PM

The values and key information is available and can be queried from the repository database.   I'm not in front of a computer at the moment   but you can find most of the information retained in mgnt$current_error_notification and  mgmt$alert_history.

Thanks

Kellyn

• Edward Whalen
    Edward Whalen Member Posts: 48 Bronze Badge
    edited May 16, 2016 8:35PM

Kellyn provided a great explanation on setting up the incident rules.  But before you do that I would like to know if you set up connectivity between your OEM system and your corporate email server.  If you haven't done that you need to go to Setup->Notifications->Notification Methods.  Here you can set up your email server that you will be using to send emails out from OEM.  Next you need to make sure that you have an email address associated with your Administrator account.  While you are doing that you can send yourself a test email.  If the email server and email addresses aren't set up you aren't going to get email alerts.

If you are able to get test emails then you can go to Incident Rules and configure which alerts you want to get emails for.  BTW.  This is a little different in OEM Cloud Control 13c.

Good Luck!

Ed

This discussion has been closed.