• 7,901,142 Comments

Discussions

OTD configuration for monitoring origin servers cpu consumption

RunningZh-Oracle
RunningZh-Oracle Member Posts: 26
edited Aug 18, 2016 10:26PM in Java System Web Server

Hi Gurus,

Thanks for your time to read my post.

we  implemented a environment of OTD 12c with applications, I setup a origin server pool for application servers in OTD12c.

we want to achieve to automatically scale up application servers by enabling origin servers in OTD origin server pool as below cased described:

we have 4 application servers(1-4) in OTD origin server pool, at beginning, there are only one enabled, as the work loading growth on app server 1,

as app server 1 can't deal with work loading(CPU usage> 75%), then we need to enable 2nd origin server to scale up the capacity, then 3rd origin serer and so on.

But we want to achieve this progress automatically, means that OTD monitor origin server cpu consumption, once all origin servers' cpu consumption reached threshold,

then OTD could automatically enable other disabled server or servers in origin server pool.

So can we achieve this with OTD configuration?

Any advice and guides are welcomed.

Thanks

Roy

Answers

• bla-Oracle
    bla-Oracle Member Posts: 39 Employee
    edited Aug 17, 2016 6:40AM

Hi Roy,

you have posted to a sub space of Oracle CPQ Cloud software.

I can move this post to a better space, but I'm not sure what OTD is and what the best space would be. A search for "OTD" suggests one of the following:

Let me know, which space you prefer.

Regards,

- Burkhard

• handat
    handat Member Posts: 4,688 Gold Crown
    edited Aug 17, 2016 7:24AM

OTD = Oracle Traffic Director, its a proxy/load balancer product based on the same underlying core as the Java System Web Server product.

• handat
    edited Aug 17, 2016 7:09AM

You probably will need to use OEM Cloud Control for that. You would need to monitor the CPU of your backend server via OEM and if a certain treshold is reached, it can be configured to either send a notification or run a script. That script can connect to OTD and dynamically update its configuration to include additional backends.

• bla-Oracle
    bla-Oracle Member Posts: 39 Employee
    edited Aug 17, 2016 7:23AM

I moved the discussion to .

• RunningZh-Oracle
    edited Aug 17, 2016 11:09PM

Thanks handat.

I am current using ORACLE ENTERPRISE MANAGERFUSION MIDDLEWARE CONTROL 12c to manage OTD 12c, which has functions to support OTD configuration and administration.

Looks like it don't have capacity to monitor backend server CPU consumption, and We have to leverage others external tools(EM or Scripts) to achieve that.

• RunningZh-Oracle
    edited Aug 17, 2016 11:11PM

Thank you a lot. I didn't find suitable place to post at beginning.

• handat
    edited Aug 17, 2016 11:55PM

You can install OEM host agents on the other backend systems to monitor them.

• RunningZh-Oracle
    edited Aug 18, 2016 10:26PM

Thanks for idea.

I don't tend to install agent on apps server, as it could be degrade the performance.

after researched, I think OTD don't have function to monitor backend server cpu,(the health check just for availability), and automacicatlly enable origin serer either.

so we have to use monitor tool(OSWatch..) to monitor backend serer and, use scripts to enable origin server in OTD.

This discussion has been closed.