• 7,892,437 Comments

Discussions

RMAN(+recovery catalog) configuration after switchover

ewelinp
ewelinp Member Posts: 46 Red Ribbon
edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58PM in Data Guard

Hi

we have set up:
dataguard where physical standby does rman backups in OEM.

So after switchover, is it normal that i have to register new primary in recovery catalog every time and is there any shortcuts for rman reconfiguration, after switch? Am i missing somekind of OEM internal setting that would ease the manual reconfiguration?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    edited Aug 25, 2016 9:59AM
    ewelinp wrote:Hiwe have set up:
    dataguard where physical standby does rman backups in OEM.So after switchover, is it normal that i have to register new primary in recovery catalog every time and is there any shortcuts for rman reconfiguration, after switch? Am i missing somekind of OEM internal setting that would ease the manual reconfiguration?Thanks in advance.

Databases are registerd with the rman catalog by DBID.  Your standby has a different dbid than the primary.

You could always register the standby as soon as it is initially created.

• ewelinp
    ewelinp Member Posts: 46 Red Ribbon
    edited Aug 25, 2016 10:11AM

Actually they share DB ID as the standby was duplicated from primary. I'm thinking that if standby would get registered as soon as it's created, it would drop the registration, just like the primary does, when there's a switchover, cause standby can't be registered with the catalog.

db_unique_name is distinct. I'm just wondering if there really isn't a "button" to transfer backup settings with policies when doing switchover. Just like there's a choice to transfer scheduled jobs to new primary.

This discussion has been closed.